Orkney

Julie

Hello all,
we are looking into travelling to Orkney a bit later in the year. Does anyone have any wildcamping spots of other info, such as water taps, CDP's etc. I know there are acouple of campsites, but we really got into wildcamping when on the Outer hebrides last year and would like to do this again if possible, with maybe the odd night on a site. We may also go the whole hog and do Shetland as well, but it is a bit of a way out and I was sea sick going to Barra!
Thanks
Jules

Hi Jules. Here’s a few spots you may like to check out in Orkney.
1. Yesnaby – Clifftop site next to some old WW2 buildings.
2. Burger Hill – Up a track to the wind farm and next to the visitor centre which was disused when last visited.
3. Rackwick Bay on Hoy – From here you can walk to the Old Man of Hoy.

Most of the Garages let you fill up with water. Also not sure if you have decided on your ferry crossing? But did you know about the “other” ferry operators:-

http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/

Have a good trip…

Keep it Wild keep it Free!!

orkney

We crossed from Gills Bay to St Margarets , nice short crossing.
Burger hill was good for us also,check out the red throated divers there too.

:eek: Hi Jules, what you should ask is "Where Can't I Park on Orkney" went for a 2week stay last year & stayed 31/2 month, the local natives are very friendly,water most garages toilet waste a wee bit more difficult but discretion on an evening or later public loo BUT PLEASE LEAVE THEM CLEAN, seen some careless people last year spilling every where also do'nt recomend off the beach at high tide.If you E/M me letting me know where you plan to go will get my map out & give you a list of places. The main thing is tho ENJOY, will also tell you were to go for the best Aberdeen Angus steaks you'll ever taste.
Steuart.

snowgoose said:
:eek: Hi Jules, what you should ask is "Where Can't I Park on Orkney" went for a 2week stay last year & stayed 31/2 month, the local natives are very friendly,water most garages toilet waste a wee bit more difficult but discretion on an evening or later public loo BUT PLEASE LEAVE THEM CLEAN, seen some careless people last year spilling every where also do'nt recomend off the beach at high tide.If you E/M me letting me know where you plan to go will get my map out & give you a list of places. The main thing is tho ENJOY, will also tell you were to go for the best Aberdeen Angus steaks you'll ever taste.
Steuart.

Thanks for that, you've got me jealous now, would love to go for a few months but I think work might notice if I'm gone that long!! Will have to pass on the Aberdeen Angus steaks as I'm a vegetarian.
We've decided on sticking to Orkney, probably the main islands and saving Shetland for another time. We will probably have a night or 2 on the campsites if we need to, but enjoyed wildcamping on the outer hebrides so much I can see us just parking up some where for the night.

Journeyman/Simon_snail thanks for your recomendations, already looked at pentland ferries, quite fancy a night at John O'groats before doing Gill to St Margarets. May do Stromness to Scrabster on the way back.
My only problem know is waiting till May to go

Jules

If you want a caravan site for the odd night,there are council run sites in Kirkwall and Stromness,both walking distance of town

orkney

Hi agin Jules, John O Groates dinna bother it is a lousy place & as fer the site there:eek: ,the camp site at Stromness point is the Bees Knees, facillitys 1st rate, nice & level :D sorry to mention the you know what,bet the cows will welcome you ;) The advantage of age do as you please.
Steuart.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back