NT camping

izwozral

Does anyone know what became of the NT's proposal to allow MH's to overnight at some of their properties?

I know Anglesey Abbey used to allow MH's bet that was back in 2022.

IDK - I Don't Know possibly?

The Cambridgeshire site I think you mean is Waterclose Meadows Ral? It's actually more Huntingdon/St Ives than Cambridge but not too far to visit Cambridge. I've never been to the site but passed by on the boat many times and it looks a pleasant place to stay.

The Cambridgeshire one is very nice, in a small village with pubs/cafes and lovely setting, nice toilet block too, I’ve stayed on 3 NT sites to date and always satisfied, I prefer the ones with no facilities as they’re cheaper too.

IDK - I Don't Know possibly?

The Cambridgeshire site I think you mean is Waterclose Meadows Ral? It's actually more Huntingdon/St Ives than Cambridge but not too far to visit Cambridge. I've never been to the site but passed by on the boat many times and it looks a pleasant place to stay.

In Sam’s case it probably means “Inebriated, Drunk, Kaylied” 🤪😂😜

I'm sure that a year or 2 ago we were at Tredegar House and there was a sign that motorhomes could overnight for about £30. Can't see anything on the website now though

This URL links to actual regular campsites run by NT, i.e. with facilities and chargeable. I'm not sure that's what izwozral was asking, which I read to mean staying overnight at one of their properties you would visit (i.e. stately home, garden etc.).
Yes I did but the Cambridge site does look good nevertheless . I seem to remember that one NT site charged £10 for carpark stopover.

I had to talk to NT on;y yesterday about a memebrship issue.

Whilst I was on the phone I specifically asked about the progress of allowing overnights on their car parks. I was informed that there was no firm rule - but to contact each place individually and ask what there policy was.

No discount for members which suggests this is an independent business venture rather than anything charity related and there’s a limit on some sites on how many dogs allowed.

I didn't even know about this and I am a long time member. I have written to them to suggest it but never had an answer.
Not happy about booking or "proper camping ".
Why the heck can't they just allow overnight with same fees as daytime??
Keep pressuring them.

@Moonraker 2 because the NT is imho a grey area between being a disguised big business rather than what most would consider as a Charity, so it probably makes better business sense to do it like this.

I can’t imagine them ever opening up any of the trusts premises car parks for overnighting, their often obnoxiously over enthusiastic volunteers that police the places like it’s a vocation would be mortified for starters.

Plus there’s probably all sorts of caveats in the arrangements they have with the trustees and often true owners of many places that restrict what can be done. Powerful as the NT is they probably can’t get away with everything they would like to do even if it brings in more money to build more visitors centre selling imported crap from china.

They would have to recruit more volunteers to act as rangers following their unwelcome guests around with litter pickers and doggy bags.

You would probably get a knock on the door every few hours to remind you of the rules and confirm you are self contained, the latter is already happening at the RSPB location in loch garten since the honourable idea of allowing a max of five vans a night backfired on them

I think the NT sites are best left as they are, often extremely nice but expensive visitor attractions with handy free carparks (for members) we certainly couldn’t afford to visit more than a couple a year if it wasn’t for being members

Last edited:
I might be in the minority here but I would not want the NT to open up their car parks for overnight camping ,ever. I’m a member and stay on their designated sites regularly but can you imagine what would happen if they threw open the gates at all of their properties?, even the campsites are abused by vans without facilities so it wouldn’t take long for a blanket ban on ALL Motorhomes ,especially given the type of person (and I’m generalising here) who volunteer, I could often fall out with them as it is without someone coming around policing the car parks.:(

@Moonraker 2 because the NT is imho a grey area between being a disguised big business rather than what most would consider as a Charity, so it probably makes better business sense to do it like this.

I can’t imagine them ever opening up any of the trusts premises car parks for overnighting, their often obnoxiously over enthusiastic volunteers that police the places like it’s a vocation would be mortified for starters.

Plus there’s probably all sorts of caveats in the arrangements they have with the trustees and often true owners of many places that restrict what can be done. Powerful as the NT is they probably can’t get away with everything they would like to do even if it brings in more money to build more visitors centre selling imported crap from china.

They would have to recruit more volunteers to act as rangers following their unwelcome guests around with litter pickers and doggy bags.

You would probably get a knock on the door every few hours to remind you of the rules and confirm you are self contained, the latter is already happening at the RSPB location in loch garten since the honourable idea of allowing a max of five vans a night backfired on them

I think the NT sites are best left as they are, often extremely nice but expensive visitor attractions with handy free carparks (for members) we certainly couldn’t afford to visit more than a couple a year if it wasn’t for being members
Your views on the NT and it's volunteers and guides pretty much align with mine.
I rather lost my temper with one pompous prig who latched onto me despite being told I don't need or want a guide thank you very much.
The idiot kept following me and at one point put his hand on my shoulder and tried to turn me 90 degrees to view a painting about which he was already filling my ears with verbal diarrhoea.
I told him to never try to halt me or anybody else like that again as there would be serious consequences.

Some guides are OK, they either don't engage or they say "please ask if they can be of any assistance".
Some guides are even very engaging and a pleasure to talk to but most are just boring and full of misguided self importance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back