No Sound on TV

carol25singer

We have a campervan with a 12volt 110amp leisure battery, giving a reading of 13volts. Our van has a Coolmatic 40 litre 12v/24v - 4a/2a 70watt condenser fridge. When we run our 7" Orbit 12volt LCD television we get volume and picture. However when we try to run our 12v 3.1amp 38watt Mikomi 15" LCD television we only receive the picture NO SOUND. When we turn off the fridge we get sound and picture - help please!!

carol25singer said:
We have a campervan with a 12volt 110amp leisure battery, giving a reading of 13volts. Our van has a Coolmatic 40 litre 12v/24v - 4a/2a 70watt condenser fridge. When we run our 7" Orbit 12volt LCD television we get volume and picture. However when we try to run our 12v 3.1amp 38watt Mikomi 15" LCD television we only receive the picture NO SOUND. When we turn off the fridge we get sound and picture - help please!!
not enough power to run both by the sounds of it fridges suck a lot of power, try running the tv off the van battery or get a higher power leisure battery

Thanks we'll just have to switch the fridge off when we want to watch the TV! We have been looking at a 12v DC voltage regulator but don't know if it will be worth the expense or would solve the problem. We thought it was the TV connection at first but then realised that the TV worked OK when we didn't have the fridge on. The trouble with the fridge is that it runs on 12 volt only.
thanks again Carol

carol25singer said:
Thanks we'll just have to switch the fridge off when we want to watch the TV! We have been looking at a 12v DC voltage regulator but don't know if it will be worth the expense or would solve the problem. We thought it was the TV connection at first but then realised that the TV worked OK when we didn't have the fridge on. The trouble with the fridge is that it runs on 12 volt only.
thanks again Carol
not sure if a regulator would help but am sure someone on here will, as i said sounds like your battery isn't man enough do they work when the motor is running?

We've been out today to talk to our friendly electrical man in his shop and we've ended up buying a 150w inverter - should solve the problem, plus we should be able to run our Freeview box via it. He reckons it sounds like something to do with the wiring on the fridge. Anyhow we're off for a few days so will be trying the system out!

faulty fridge

hi carol.
we used the same tv in our van with no problem but we only ran it on hookup or 600w generator or 500w inverter.
i personally wouldn't recomend running the tv direct off the battery as they are pretty voltage sensitive and an overvoltage could kill it!
the mains adaptor that came with it is a steady 12v output.
try checking the battery voltage with the fridge running and see what volts it reads then. if its down below 11 volts (ish) your batteries on its way out even though it shows 13v with no load its not holding the capacity.
if you have mains hookup try them together while on mains hookup. if this works it's got to be the battery.
i cant see a 70w fridge and a 38w tv being a problem as it's only around 10amps so a 110amp battery should power both for some time(typicaly 11hrs)
i dont know what kind of fridge it is but if it has a wiring fault i woudn't use it as it could cause a fire.
dont want to cast dispair but hope this helps,

john.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back