No Overnight Parking

snowgoose

:confused: Ok folks let me thro this conversation I had last year at you & see what you make of it.
The scene is Caithness Scotland, I am in a large carpark /picnic area,a LARGE sighn says "NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING".I am parked up 7pm police car does a sweep no comment, 10-30 he's back I'm having a brew outside,being in a cheeky frame of mind I offer him one & he actually accepted[must have been a quiet nite] Well big do's little do's I chance my arm & ask him about the no camping sighn this was his response" As A policeman I have to ask you to move on. wether you ignore this request is up to you.
Now if I take my official hat off heres the position,the sighns are the council responsabillity & as such come under CIVIL law all we are allowed to do is to ask you to move courtesy to the council.If you refuse [politley ] we make a report which is passed to the council they then have to officially go thro the legal procedure to have you removed, by this time you are enjoying a peacfull evening in someone else's patch. All I ask is leave no mess & do'nt take liberty's by hanging around for a week or so" After that he drove off & I had a pleasent long w/end[4days]not I hasten to add all day long just returned around 6pm never saw him again. In fact I was joined by passing surfers in vans & on bikes most nights.
The decision is yours was he right or wrong, surley theres some LEGAL EAGLE here.
Snowgoose.:eek:

Hi

Is it not the case with "travellers" that to get them to move on a court order has to be made before the police cane legally move them on? Therefore a single motorhome wild camping is not worth the effort, surely! No legal eagle though.

police do not police council carparks - as these are subject to enforcement by council byelaws, police will only deal with unecessary obstruction of a public highway, or generally highway obstruction. As this council carpark is neither and it could not be construed in any case that this is a highway and is doubtful that you could have been causing obstruction i cannot see how that power could be used in this case. As for the comments regarding travellers, there is a minimum amount of cars and caravans that come into play - and as a matter of fact - one does not come anywhere near.

Of course this is scotland who do have different laws to ourselves, but they do tend to run parallel with our own.

In essence we as police do not police car parks

also he sounds like a copper with a bit of service and life experience - and certainly not a jobsworth - see there are some of us still left

Last edited:
Lady Barnet what exactly does "regarding travelers, there is a minimum amount of cars and caravans that come into play" mean? Does it mean as I'm taking that there has to be more than say five vehicles before legal action can be taken, is there a specific number, depending on location perhaps? If so what what is the course of action, just interested. And if there are less than the specific number what options are open to the authorities.

the minimum is 6 vehicles/caravans at a location - and there needs to be certain conditions in which these are located - suffice im not going to go into huge detail but if you care to look up s61 criminal justice and public order act 1994 - this details actions that can be taken and conditions under which action can be taken.

As for council action - i am no expert on that and dont claim to be nor intend to be.

lady barnet said:
the minimum is 6 vehicles/caravans at a location - and there needs to be certain conditions in which these are located - suffice im not going to go into huge detail but if you care to look up s61 criminal justice and public order act 1994 - this details actions that can be taken and conditions under which action can be taken

As for council action - i am no expert on that and dont claim to be nor intend to be.

I think that the council won't waste their time and money to take you to court except in more serious situations as in to many vans, and load's of rubbish being dumped.
One example is Amble Harbor there is a sign no overnight parking but i have seen four or five vans one of which was my own staying overnight reason being it's very handy for the local pubs, and i have never seen police or council bother anyone yet maybe they know it brings money into the place so i think if you dont behave like an idiot you should be ok.:D

We have parked in loads of places where the sign says no overnight parking sleeping cooking etc. Have had visits from Police in middle of night etc but no bother from them whatsoever. If you dont leave a mess dont disturb anyone dont park in front of anyones window what is the problem. Car park on Skye at Broadford one example loads of vans stay the night its adone thing and noone bothers you.Know of someone who stayed there weeks.:)

jenspen said:
We have parked in loads of places where the sign says no overnight parking sleeping cooking etc. Have had visits from Police in middle of night etc but no bother from them whatsoever. If you dont leave a mess dont disturb anyone dont park in front of anyones window what is the problem. Car park on Skye at Broadford one example loads of vans stay the night its adone thing and noone bothers you.Know of someone who stayed there weeks.:)
Your right in what you say just show some common sense and it should be no problem, I know someone called John who gets to sky regular he is full timing

sounds like a nice policeman to me with a bit of common sense......but like lady barnet says not a jobs worth.....although you do get them..:eek:
im sure if you are discreet & dont leave a mess it'd be rare to have any probs with the local plod!! :)

Wild Camping

Thank's to all who replied especially Her Ladyship,an interesting response,it does thro an all new light on "wild Camping legal or not".especially in built up area's.I only brought the subject up to see the general concensus of opinion.Thank you one & all for your replys once more.
Steuart.

Your Weekend

sammclouis said:
sounds like a nice policeman to me with a bit of common sense......but like lady barnet says not a jobs worth.....although you do get them..:eek:
im sure if you are discreet & dont leave a mess it'd be rare to have any probs with the local plod!! :)

Nice to see that you are back to your keyboard. How did your weekend go with ***** & wife. Hope David did not have to do the cooking & cleaning.

David & Ann said:
Nice to see that you are back to your keyboard. How did your weekend go with ***** & wife. Hope David did not have to do the cooking & cleaning.
hi david & ann,we all had a fab time i will upload some pics soon,dave cooked brekkie this morning :eek: :eek: :eek: and we are all still living ha ha ;)
no....he did a fab jobbie and he cooked it all to perfection :)

sammclouis said:
hi david & ann,we all had a fab time i will upload some pics soon,dave cooked brekkie this morning :eek: :eek: :eek: and we are all still living ha ha ;)
no....he did a fab jobbie and he cooked it all to perfection :)

I do the cooking in our partnership and Ann does the washing up. Perhaps both the David's can give tips on cooking :D

David & Ann said:
I do the cooking in our partnership and Ann does the washing up. Perhaps both the David's can give tips on cooking :D
he's not a cook normally but i made him do it.....ha ha ha ha.....:D
no he enjoyed it really,see the pics i am posting...in will post him cooking :eek:

***** said:
In fact I am going to eat now!
Speak later:D
HUNGRY???????NO WAY HA HA
so are me n dave..........ha ha ha ha i feel starving :eek: :D

***** said:
What about my fabulous cooking??????
he he he;) :p
your cooking was fab...i was surprised you and dave did such a good job...well done to both of our easter cooks......spot on.....;) :p :D :cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back