New van for us

When I wanted insurance on my Transit motorhome one company refused to give me a quote. When asked why they said because Transits are the most stolen ?vehicle / ?motorhome. Anyway the next place I tried was quite happy to insure it. That was two years ago and it hasn't been pinched.
I have a steering wheel disc lock bought from the last NEC show at half price. When I go away on a l - o - n - g cruise I jack it up and remove at least two wheels and put a full cover over it, and leave a car in between it and the road.
I must get round to working out the electrics to disable the fuel pump.
I haven't heard of the OBD relocator but it sounds like a good idea. When the time arises, you can tell whoever has a right to access it where it is.
Is there a fiendish thingy that you can wire the original OBD port to so that thieves think they have connected to a genuine one?

When I wanted insurance on my Transit motorhome one company refused to give me a quote. When asked why they said because Transits are the most stolen ?vehicle / ?motorhome. Anyway the next place I tried was quite happy to insure it. That was two years ago and it hasn't been pinched.
I have a steering wheel disc lock bought from the last NEC show at half price. When I go away on a l - o - n - g cruise I jack it up and remove at least two wheels and put a full cover over it, and leave a car in between it and the road.
I haven't heard of the OBD relocator but it sounds like a good idea. When the time arises, you can tell whoever has a right to access it where it is.
Is there a fiendish thingy that you can wire the original OBD port to so that thieves think they have connected to a genuine one?
There are a variety of options regarding OBD ports ...
Relocate kits
False Obd ports
Armoured boxes
Switches in key wires to the port
Some folks have even altered the wiring so it will blow anything plugged into the port (great until you forget or someone legit plugs in without you remembering to tell them )

Mostly available to buy online

Basically lots of options to prevent access to the ECU and disabling of immobiliser/alarm/locking and reprogramming of key etc .

I had a Transit MK7 before my now Transit Custom and have never had a problem with issues around insurance. I have the regular alarm and a steering lock and thats it. I also have CCTV looking over my van, but have never had anyone trying to steal it or break into it. I suppose its down to where you live and the crime rate in the area. Plus I have a lot of nosey neighbors' haha.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back