new sraters

martandpenontour

we are about to put our house up for rental an buy a 2nd hand motor home (we think about 25 to 30 K to spend) and take about a year touring the uk....starting Jan 2008.

also let us say sorry as this is the first type of 'chat room/club/forum' that we have used so we dont know what we are doing wrong here either !

We rented a motorhome 2 years ago and spent a week in it and thats the extent of our experience.

Our first question is how do we keep in touch using e-mails ??? we have an Orange mobile phone and use Orange broadband at home with a PC but assume that we can somehow get the internet on the move with a laptop but not necessarily with orange.

The other big issue is the purchase of the motor home itself i.e. through a dealer with the backup (but paying the price) or private.

there is only two of us and we dont need a massive van just one to be comfortable in ( 2 or 4 berth) but we are worried that the bigger the motorhome the less places we can get to or stay over night if not in a camp site.

Sorry to droll on but we guess everybody has to start somewhere.

In case you are wondering what we use to get around with now its a 2003 Honda 1300 Pan European that we hope to part exchange...

all the best.

Just a thought

Hi,
Just a thought, but the motor home show is in October at the NEC. When we were choosing, we went to the show with a view of build quality, size, price new, layout. Then we headed for the second hand pages on the internet and trawled through those for some time until we found just what we were looking for at a fair price.

The show gives you loads of ideas for vans and accessories, we bought an inflatable kiyak and camping beds!:)

just another thought

We were really taken with the VW California, build quality is excellent, interior designed by aero space! Electric pop-top, costs around £35k new or £40k with all the accessories, they've only been around 4 years or so, but occasionally they come up for sale £25k second hand. Other interior manufacturers use the base veichle, but the california is solely made by VW, and you can really see the difference. You'll never need another van.

tourin'

Welcome to the site, not long here myself and they're a good lot.
You have the gift of time when buying 'cos the end of the season is upon us for those who are of a fainter heart when touring, also you are not committed to buying 'til Jan. I would say buy a combination of the best and probably biggest you can afford, if that makes sense 'cos it's amazing how the walls start to shrink on you and the amount of stuff you can amass is amazing. Buying from a dealer gives you better rights than a private sale but the latter can get you a better 'van but find yourself someone who REALLY knows their stuff when going for a deal... Hope this helps and you can let me know what you're doing with the "pan" nearer the time!!:D :D

have you thought of long term rent you will get full breakdown cover, a new van and if you go for 12 months possibly get a great deal.
Also no depreciation and no worries may worth a thought

With the exception of the new fiat chassis, I think its safe to say that all motorhomes come on van chassis's designed to stand up to the likes of white van man and bob the builder, but don't get the same hammering.
Personally, I would never buy new again, there are plenty of excellent quality used, low mileage m/homes out there that have had their teething troubles sorted and could save you hundreds, if not a few thousand, pounds.
Dealer v private ; Firefighter gave the best advice, by all means go private, but try and take somebody experienced with you to do the 'tyre kicking' bit.
The AA and RAC provide a 'tyre kicking' service and will give you a full mechanical report. The cost could save you a lot of future hassle, and if the seller isn't prepared to have the vehicle examined don't buy!
Somebody else mentioned the show at the NEC this month. Try to have a look around it as every shape, size, and layout will be there to help you decide .......... or totally confuse you!!
Happy hunting, and happy travels when you make your purchase.

Voxy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back