new engine (i think)

rattusnq

Hi folks not been on for a while, travelling and working you know how it goes:)
now comes the problem on our last journey home a strange noise coming from the engine got home ok,
checked the tappets they were fine drained the oil and took the sump off.
looks like one of the pots has been smashed by the piston.
broken parts included oil ring and twisted piece of metal resembling a shim i think! is this repairable or are we looking at a new engine, if so what engine fits a 1986 fiat ducato autostratus 1971cc any help would be grateful:eek:

Another Fiat engine the same, they do come up occasionally.
It might just be repairable?
I believe the Peugeot diesel can also be fitted but its a lot of work, are you any good at DIY?
The thing to consider is if you pay say £1000 to fix it you still have a good van with a good few years left in it.

Any engine can be rebuilt - at a price. You can do some cost reduction work like getting the engine out and isolating the damaged parts.

If its just the pistons and block that are damaged you can often buy "short" engines and then refit all the bits from your engine (manifolds, pumps, etc).

You maybe lucky and have an engine that has cylinder sleeves that can be pressed out and replaced - few and far between these days with high revving diesels.

Not a first time DIY job unless you have a mechanic mentor at hand.

The lesson for us all is about how well our base vehicles are supported.
I found it far easier to get bits for my 1972 Bedford Cf than my 1987 Fiat!
I have been lucky, I managed to buy a spare engine and gear box at a very good price so I will just keep them just in case.
First thing you need to do is find out exactly whats wrong, I was lead to believe these petrol engines are quite robust?
I would geta quote for a full recon and if its any thing less well thats a bonus, dont forget as a none runner the vans worth very little, so its catch 22, you have to spend money to keep it or sell it unless you take a big loss.
You could try Preloved, Ebay and the Fiat forums for an engine.

put a search for talbot express vans in google you might be pleasantly surprised :):)

I might have found you one just waiting for a call back from a tip off on a complete Ducato / express being broken for bits

I might have found you one just waiting for a call back from a tip off on a complete Ducato / express being broken for bits
hi winchman sorry for delay did you have any luck with the fiat being broken down :)

Hello
Just spoke to a man called Mike.I dont know him, but he was happy for me to post his number here.
He has a Ducato / Express with a good engine and gear box, £150 for the engine and £75 for the box if you have both.
He has just the body and mechanical bits left
His number is
If its too far to collect I have just used a carrier called Speedshift Ltd - Pallet delivery to over 34 countries
They charged me £54 inc vat to collect a pallet from Cornwall and deliver to Liverpool, with a Ducato Engine, box, Radiator and a few other bits on it.
I found them cheap and whilst mines fine I just bought them to stick in the garage just in case
Regards
Dave

thanks for the information will give him a call, all the best.:):):)

No problem.
If we all help each other its easier.
If you can afford to and have the space I feel its worth buying an assortment of spare parts as I feel things are getting harder to find for Ducatos and Talbot expresses.
There are some high value motorhomes driving around built on vehicles that the manufacturers no longer support, sad but true

How are you getting on?
Just remember dont scrap the old engine as some on will need it or bits of it

Hi called the number you gave me and the van is in scunthorpe and engine still attached. managed to find a company in shrewsbury who can do me the pistons and liners for £51.00 each plus v.a.t ;also been in touch with a company in kegworth who think they can sort me out an individual piston!!!! the saga continues .............:rolleyes:

hi winchman the company in kegworth sent to germany for the piston
which they recieved with the understanding that my piston measured 71.09 which are now obsolete so they sent one which was 74.34 and the company machined it to suit.this cost me £170.00 and now we are off and running:D
the only problem now is that with the hot weather the head lamp glass fell out on the passsanger side and smashed so looking for new glass
OH THE JOYS OF MOTORHOMING.....thanks for all your help everyone and any info on headlamps would be great

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back