Need some tips

Merlin

I've spent ages reading through various posts on this site and everyone seems so knowledgeable wild camping, whereas I haven't attempted it yet.
I would very much appreciate some basic tips as a lone female. I also object to many of the very high charges when they charge for the slightest piece of equipment.

What do I look for when deciding where to pitch?
What are the favourite places for wild camping? e.g. Car Parks, byways, laybys etc.,
What is the likelihood of being asked to move on in the middle of the night?
Do wild campers have any rights when it comes to where they park?

I, and no doubt some of the other new members, would appreciate any tips you seasoned wilders can give.

parking

Merlin said:
I've spent ages reading through various posts on this site and everyone seems so knowledgeable wild camping, whereas I haven't attempted it yet.
I would very much appreciate some basic tips as a lone female. I also object to many of the very high charges when they charge for the slightest piece of equipment.

What do I look for when deciding where to pitch?
What are the favourite places for wild camping? e.g. Car Parks, byways, laybys etc.,
What is the likelihood of being asked to move on in the middle of the night?
Do wild campers have any rights when it comes to where they park?

I, and no doubt some of the other new members, would appreciate any tips you seasoned wilders can give.
Don't park on an MOD firing range anywhere else will do
!home is where you park! you will get the idea
If your are unsure Park beside other vans

Merlin

If you have not wild camped before ,try one of the places that is on here.Most of the suggested places on here, are used by several people through the years with no problems.The areas do differ quite a bit ,some places not possible.

hi and welcome...i was very nervous at 1st,but you do get used to it..find somewhere you would like to visit (some great sites on here)..if it feels right..go for it,but always plan your stay..i.e..make sure you can drive away just in case any trouble,dont put external blinds up only internal ones...if you drink make sure you make it clear that you dont intend to drive (done leave keys in the ignition & turn seat if possible)...and last but not least...enjoy!! go with like minded people if you are nervous,sometimes a few of us meetup and you would be welcome to join in..touch wood i have never had a problem and have never been asked to move on....we always respect where we stay..i.e rubbish,noise etc...we prefer wilding than sites as long as you pick a great spot...laybys on a busy rd may be good for a stop over on the way to somewhere,but would you want to spend the weekend in one?? i personally wouldnt but each to there own...anyhow whatever you do...have fun..sammclouis :D ;) :cool: :D

I do think it helps at the start with the old adage 'Safety in numbers' Like others have said some of the busy spots like Aldeburgh you'll be one of between 5 & 35 so there's NO problem in being hassled, moved on or worrying if it will start in the morning.

I would try somewhere close to home for your first night, then if you don't like it it's only an hour to admit defeat and go home! But I'm sure after a glass of wine you'll be fine - pluck up the courage and try it!

Nosha said:
I would try somewhere close to home for your first night, then if you don't like it it's only an hour to admit defeat and go home! But I'm sure after a glass of wine you'll be fine - pluck up the courage and try it!

Very sound advice from Nosha.
Also, don't leave it 'til it gets dark before deciding where you are going to stay, especially if the area is completely unknown to you.
Scotland is such a wonderful place to begin wildcamping as it is so acceptable there and in the summer months it doesn't go dark 'til very very late. We have sat reading 'til gone 10.30pm by natural daylight!!:D

also some safety tips
park facing the way out so should you need to move you can do so without maneuvering back and to.

i have used many of these sites mentioned on here and had very few probs.

obviously don't put yourself in a place where you are interfering with others
never wild near a campsite [if they see you they call plod and complain]
avoid end of runways [scotland near Findhorn - bloody night take off and landings with after burner too]

most places people are ok with you if they see a clean camp

a joke goes a long way if you see a local or a plod [near Faslane submarine place - 2 am heard motor of plod so got out said hello and invited him in for a brew. was greeted with an english accent- asked him where from - oxford- offered him directions to get him home= he chuckled, declined brew and left me to go to bed]

if you are on way somewhere stop in a convenient place after 9 and move on before 10. if plod comes knocking, explain you were tired and did what adverts said "pull over and have a snooze" we just happen to be better equipped than a car. having med probs I use those if I have to [never have had to yet]

we have several places that we stay for several days at but mostly we tour, spending the days visiting a town or whatever then find somewhere to overnight before moving on to the next town
we also are well known up in scotland so have very few probs up there but have visited almost every area of UK now as well as france belgium holland germany and luxembourg. at the time we didn't know wilding was illegal there but were way out in country and didn't have our collars felt but i understand that it is an instant fine and if you don't pay they take your van til you do so don't wild it in germany or holland.

very few places where you can't wild it but sometimes it is difficult to find a place when you want one so keep a log of possible places when you travel and don't be afraid to turn round and go back to a likely spot

we found it easier in our converted ambi than we do in our coachbuilt.
maybe they thought we were NAT's [or Old age traveler in my case]

and last

DON'T HAVE EXPENSIVE THINGS ON SHOW

if you can afford sat nav or sat system you can pay for a campsite

you'd be surprised how many think like that. jealousy comes in with things like that and then they pick up a phone. these days plod will react to a call about that rather than a crime sad to say

less work for them and a lot easier

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back