'Near Me' problem with Android App

cancunia

Sorry if this is reported elsewhere.
Quite often, I can't get the 'Near Me' button to work, it seems to get stuck 'locating', but works ok from home. Google Maps & Organic Maps both work fine & I can enter my location manually to find POI's. Does it require a data connection to work?

Thanks

:eek: Google, are you bonkers, full of spyware and bugs, use duck duck go and also mapsme.

Sorry if this is reported elsewhere.
Quite often, I can't get the 'Near Me' button to work, it seems to get stuck 'locating', but works ok from home. Google Maps & Organic Maps both work fine & I can enter my location manually to find POI's. Does it require a data connection to work?

Thanks
Yes, data connection required.

If you have Organic Maps on your phone, try it as a Satnav sometime, it is hilarious. She sounds like a Witch with a hangover. 😁

Sorry, my mistake!
But even with the data connection which is needed to get the POPIs manually, the 'Near Me' does not work.
I've occasionally had issues with an Android device (probably phone but perhaps tablet) not correctly locating me on an app (WildCamping, Organic Maps and/or CCI - I don't recall), usually soon after arrival. Usually if this issue occurs, it shows me at a previous location. It's normally sorted itself out once the device has had a clear view of the sky for a bit.

Mapsme, are you bonkers? Full of adware. Use Organic Maps. But neither of them will give you satellite or street view.
Blinken hard to get away from the cr-p, next ph will be a librem 5 linux or a fairphone.
librem 5.png
fairphone.png

I've occasionally had issues with an Android device (probably phone but perhaps tablet) not correctly locating me on an app (WildCamping, Organic Maps and/or CCI - I don't recall), usually soon after arrival. Usually if this issue occurs, it shows me at a previous location. It's normally sorted itself out once the device has had a clear view of the sky for a bit.
I have experienced this frequently.

A quick way to sort it out is to open Google Maps and click on the current location button. That fixes it for everything else.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back