Nasty shock

lenny

Driving home today, my petrol engine started missing a beat so I pulled over, lifted the bonnet and explored inside, suspecting the coil assembly I started fiddling with the low tension wires with the engine running, one of them stopped the engine when I lifted it,(I suspect the coil terminal is faulty, internally) ,started up again and fiddled with the high tension lead and got a nasty electric shock:eek::D (made my hair:eek: stand on end:D).
Shut the bonnet carried on and everything was ok:confused:, any advice please.

BTW Fiat ducato. 2lt. petrol,,!1991

Driving home today, my petrol engine started missing a beat so I pulled over, lifted the bonnet and explored inside, suspecting the coil assembly I started fiddling with the low tension wires with the engine running, one of them stopped the engine when I lifted it,(I suspect the coil terminal is faulty, internally) ,started up again and fiddled with the high tension lead and got a nasty electric shock:eek::D (made my hair:eek: stand on end:D).

BTW Fiat ducato. 2lt. petrol,,!1991

You'll need a comb Lenny ! :rolleyes::D LOL
Sprit a little WD40 on the electrical attachments. Problably you got a bad connection somewhere (moisture, dust...)
Don't have the engine running doing this or you'll need more than one comb :D

Hi lenny the first bit of advice is dont touch the HT leads when its running.. I would say change your leads and check the wires first of all . If that does not work get a Diesel they dont mess around they go or stop and thats it. Good Luck. Bob.:confused:

lenny dont mess aboot wi ir ht leads, when ur engine is running...

All of the above advice is correct but if you must fiddle around with ht leads when the engine is running hold hands with someone else!Hope you track down the fault without too much expense.

New leads; try and get the copper ones, not the ones made with some composition material. You might as well change the plugs at the same time because they may not have been done for ages.
The materials that are used for HT leads, and all cabling these days, is pretty poor quality.
Wait until we start exploring the innards of some of the new stuff. They only have 2 cables supplying 8 to 10 electrical items :D

Hi Lenny,
Shocking news mate, to find out if your leads if your HT leads are shorting out start your engine when it is dark pop the hood and you should see sparks tracking from the HT leads.

sounds like new coil and replace all leads new plugs and you should have no more probs try to get copper core plug leads and ht lead a bit more expensive but they last for ages i asume your van will have electronic ign so no points to replace or condenser

Last edited by a moderator:

BTW Fiat ducato. 2lt. petrol,,!1991[/QUO

wot a shocker:p

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back