Mud Flaps!

barryd

I can't remember if I mentioned this in the multitude of Bazzas new van threads. I think I need some. Fiat Ducato front end 2015 but Alko chassis back end. Googling about and I think the front ones will be standard stuff but I hear tell that you need Landrover rear mud flaps for the back. I'm going to run it to our local mechanic as he will be fitting them but just thought I would ask on here.

If its too much hassle I might not bother until later in the year. I think they look better on the back with them on and of course surely they stop some of the crud.

Any thoughts or advice?

Lorrys use that brush like stuff all the way across

I wanted to fit that to one of my MH's back in the day but the MH repair/mechanical place said not to as all it did was keep all the crud circulating under the MH and attacking/corroding the underside of the floor. Seemed logical to me at the time especially as the Bessacarr had wooden panels underneath.

I wanted to fit that to one of my MH's back in the day but the MH repair/mechanical place said not to as all it did was keep all the crud circulating under the MH and attacking/corroding the underside of the floor. Seemed logical to me at the time especially as the Bessacarr had wooden panels underneath.
It was called spray suppression and that’s what it does, they are not really mud flaps.

Reactions: GMJ
Are they are a good idea or not? Maybe there is a reason they are not fitted. The single ones I mean not the full length ones.

They are not fitted as standard because it's another few quid saved, or made if added as an option.

They do reduce spray, and they do stop some gunk collecting, but not all. Loads of built up mud n crap under mine even with flaps.
Just don't fit them too close to wheel, on say longish grass they can get caught under rear wheel and get pulled off when reversing.

Personally I'd certainly fit mud flaps if mine didn't have them. As Mark says, it stops crud climbing up the back...or some of it at least.

Lorrys all now don't use a flat stiff plastic. It's now has holes and a prickly mat ( wipe your feet on )
20240624_083251.jpg
and about 3 layers
Screenshot_20240702_112725_Chrome.jpg
I'm going to recycle some from truck stops as that where the new stuff gets ripped off. !

Closer investigation there are rear mud flaps but they are tiny. I never noticed them until I went to take a photo. Perhaps Swift deemed them sufficient for whatever reason. Looks a bit tight on the front as well. I wonder if I should bother. Way too much other more important things to think about. On the plus side my device turned up today so I can play my own music from anywhere in the van on the awesome stereo at 120w / number 11 and it works. :D

I'd fit them Barry, especially if the steps get sprayed, and if the door is not near the wheels I'd still fit a cheap one from a car bits shop.

Back