Motorhome Road Tax

nedrawnep

I have recently had my motorhome re-classed as a Private HGV. The road tax is much cheaper, £165 a year. I was going to change it a few years ago; but you couldn't tax Private HGVs at the Post Office, it was a long way to the local DVLA. I took the motorhome to the local weighbridge and got a weight cert. took this to the DVLA and a new tax disc was issued and a refund sent. If your motorhome weighs in excess of 3,500 kgs it's a Private HGV not a PLG. I wish I could get a refund as my vehicle is a 1973. Check your weights and save money.
Peter

I've gotta say that road tax doesn't bother me as my old Baywindow is tax exempt. What month of '73 was yours registered? If you can prove it was built before the 1st Jan '73 it can be reclassified as historic.

Private HGV

My last motorhome was private HGV,as it was 4.6 tonnes. I always taxed it at the post office, so you had some wrong information given to you.

just a question changing to a private hgv from plg can it affect your insurance wont affect me my van is under weight limit anyway worst luck

mandrake said:
just a question changing to a private hgv from plg can it affect your insurance wont affect me my van is under weight limit anyway worst luck

very good point mandrake.
be interesting to see the responses to that........:confused:

may be worth getting it on a weighbridge sounds like if over 3500kg you qualifiy for cheaper tax correct me if i am wrong i have noticed that we have some royal mail vans they are deywoo aviva think that is how you spell it vans look like 7.5 tonners size and they pay £165 yearly tax but just wonder if it alters you insurance tho swings n rounderbouts ???? no pun intended at one of our members:D ;) ;)

dont know how much it costs to have it put on a weigh bridge but it may be worth a go i think dvlc web site may give details of limits for tax rates cheers from another graham !think this thing about grahams came up a while back on another site dont remember the exact one tho ????:D

***** said:
Been on weigh bridge and as I have said I run at 3500kg either just under or over depending on how much food carried:D ;)
The problem with upgrading is driving licence implications
depends when you passed your test if like me held my licence for 30 od years:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: you will have entitelment to drive up to 7.5 tons so no prob

***** said:
Hi, I know all that (or I think I do) ha ha
Have held Class 1 HGV for about 35 years:eek: :eek:
But you never know with the medicals:eek: :eek:
so you have held a normal licence for about the same time as me or there abouts and i have catergories b be c1 c1e d1 d1e f l n p so lets me to drive up to 7.5 ton so yours i will asume will be the same so no probs as far as i can see there have been some 7.5t and over waggons that have been reclassified as motor homes that can be driven on our type of licence the only thing that concerns me is the effect on your insurance if you change from p.l.g to p.h.goods i can drive a tractor unit as long as it is disabled from connecting to a trailer on my normal licence

p.s just a second thought seems a hell of a lot of trouble to go to change this and that to save 20 qudish a year :D just dont go on a camp site for 2 nights and save twice as much:D :D :D :D

Road Tax and Insurance

Changing from PLG to Private HGV. Contacted my insurance company today. It's still the same vehicle and the taxation class does not affect the cover. With regard to a lot of trouble to save £20 per year, my local weighbridge is 1mile away, £11 to weigh it. Also I was led to believe PLG tax may rise more than Private HGV. Also it is very important to know how heavy your motorhome is. Several years ago a portable weighbridge was sited at a motorhome show, large motorhomes were directed to be weighed. Quite a number were told they could not drive their vehicles as they were too heavy.
PeterP

mandrake said:
p.s just a second thought seems a hell of a lot of trouble to go to change this and that to save 20 qudish a year :D just dont go on a camp site for 2 nights and save twice as much:D :D :D :D
Was not thinking of saving money, but not going :eek: overweight and getting possible fines!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back