Motorhome insurance

barryd

Just getting quotes for the potential new van and they are a bit more than I expected.

Its complicated as I dont know if ill be parking it in storage, on the drive or on the road outside the house. Im with AIB and they have been very good and I like dealing with them but their quote for parking it on the road is £742 or £624 if it does fit on the drive or £624 also if stored in the local storage nearby.

Safeguard came up with £693 just now but i did put in I had no claims as for a while at least ill be running the policy on the old motorhome. Im not sure its easy to transfer no claims from AIB as well. Go Compare cheapest is £655.

This includes EU breakdown cover. The vehicle does have an expensive Tracker but Ive left that out as I dont know if it works or if its easily transferable. AIB reckoned it wont make that much difference on this vehicle.

Not sure what everyone else is paying. Maybe this is the norm. Any suggestions of others to try?

The cheapest for me this year was through the C&CC or whatever they are called these days.
Could you transfer the insurance from Hank1 and put that in storage until you remove everything and sell it?

When I bought a new car the cheapest insurance quote was with the AA, I was already with the AA with the Panda with 4-6 weeks left to run, I phoned them and they said they would honour the Compare the Meerkat quote with the NCD but allow me to let the Panda insurance run to the end, it might be worth ringing your current insurance company

The cheapest for me this year was through the C&CC or whatever they are called these days.
Could you transfer the insurance from Hank1 and put that in storage until you remove everything and sell it?

Its tricky as Hank 1 is still going to be needed to be moved about and driven and there are a couple of jobs that need doing on it. I suppose technically its possible.

I did get a cheap quote through Compare the market which was the Caravan and Motorhome club and included a years membership but when I called them it didnt include EU breakdown cover and I would have to get that elsewhere so will probably work out similar ball park.

Tried Comfort but there system wouldnt work for me. Ill call them in the morning.

I think its coming out more as Ive not declared a tracker or alarm both of which are on the van and Ive elected to have it parked overnight on the road until I know where its going to end up. Chances are it will be in a storage barn a couple of miles from here. Then it comes down about £140. Equally it comes down that much if I can squeeze it on the drive. Its all adding up to a shed load of money! :D Still, there are no pockets in a shroud as they say. Ive always been dead lucky with insurance though. My bikes and car are peanuts. Hanks was about £300 this year as well.

Gone with AIB again in the end. They were the most flexible despite not being the cheapest. £624 which allows me to park it on the drive or in the local (not approved) storage at the same postcode. It also allows the odd overnight on the roadside but more importantly if I cant get it on the drive or in the storage I can amend it and leave it on the roadside with the same provider for of course a bit more money. Safeguard, Comfort etc were just not as easy to deal with or as flexible and weren't cheaper in Comforts case and they refused the storage option as it didnt meet their criteria. I got a few cheaper quotes off The comparison sites for companies I had never heard of but the reviews were dire.

Charles at AIB has been really helpful so I was happy to give them the business in the end plus I have a relationship with the top man Darren anyway. Bit eyewatering though compared to old Hank. :D Especially when the crime rate around here is basically zero.

Gone with AIB again in the end. They were the most flexible despite not being the cheapest. £624 which allows me to park it on the drive or in the local (not approved) storage at the same postcode. It also allows the odd overnight on the roadside but more importantly if I cant get it on the drive or in the storage I can amend it and leave it on the roadside with the same provider for of course a bit more money. Safeguard, Comfort etc were just not as easy to deal with or as flexible and weren't cheaper in Comforts case and they refused the storage option as it didnt meet their criteria. I got a few cheaper quotes off The comparison sites for companies I had never heard of but the reviews were dire.

Charles at AIB has been really helpful so I was happy to give them the business in the end plus I have a relationship with the top man Darren anyway. Bit eyewatering though compared to old Hank. :D Especially when the crime rate around here is basically zero.
How would they know it was only the odd day on the road even if it was 24/7, seems daft to me.

How would they know it was only the odd day on the road even if it was 24/7, seems daft to me.

I guess they wouldn't Trev. However if you abused it and just parked it on the road all the time and it got nicked or run into I suspect they would look into how often its been parked there. Not sure how but they are crafty beggars. I don't want it on the road anyway, least not for long. Its quiet here but you do get the occasional nutty farmer come stonking through usually with his mobile glued to his ear in a tractor the size of a small house.

I guess they wouldn't Trev. However if you abused it and just parked it on the road all the time and it got nicked or run into I suspect they would look into how often its been parked there. Not sure how but they are crafty beggars. I don't want it on the road anyway, least not for long. Its quiet here but you do get the occasional nutty farmer come stonking through usually with his mobile glued to his ear in a tractor the size of a small house.

Not to mention the odd hooligan on a Vstrom carving up the village! :giggle:

Not to mention the odd hooligan on a Vstrom carving up the village! :giggle:

Thats going to prove a PIA. Ill have to leave the Vstrom on the end of the drive behind the motorhome under a cover. Should be ok this time of year though and makes it easier to hop on and off I guess. I worry about rust getting at it on the spoked wheels even under a cover. :D

Back