Motorhome Insurance.

jayshell

After three years of insuring my motorhome with the Caravan club without checking the renewal prices of other companys i decided to look around for a better quote.
The insurance had lapsed by one week with the caravan club and they wanted an extra £39 renewal fee on top of the £389 for the insurance.

I contacted Motorhome insurance direct and got the same ammount of cover with less excess for £179.

When i contacted the caravan club regarding this they said that there prices have always been competive.

It always pays to shop around!

Our van is not an easy one to insure, in fact so far I've only found 2 companies that will meet all our requirements - Saga and Comfort. At the last renewal Comfort were slightly cheaper but wanted a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm fitted. The van already has a perfectly good alarm and immobiliser, it's just not Thatcham approved.

Come September I'll be on the phone again, but I expect we'll be down to a shortlist of 2 again.

AndyC

It always pays to shop around!

Our van is not an easy one to insure, in fact so far I've only found 2 companies that will meet all our requirements - Saga and Comfort. At the last renewal Comfort were slightly cheaper but wanted a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm fitted. The van already has a perfectly good alarm and immobiliser, it's just not Thatcham approved.

Come September I'll be on the phone again, but I expect we'll be down to a shortlist of 2 again.

AndyC

I may be being stupid Andy, but what is the vehicle you will be trying to insure? It looks "big", is it a Merc of some sort?

I may be being stupid Andy, but what is the vehicle you will be trying to insure? It looks "big", is it a Merc of some sort?
Yes it's a Belgian (Ce-De motorhomes) bespoke conversion of a Vario 814.

The problems insurers have with it are, in no particular order:

Personal import
Left hand drive
Not a recognised conversion
4.2l engine
7.5 tonnes GVW
Plus we need a Green Card for Morocco! (the pic was taken on the edge of the Sahara at Erg Chebbi)

AndyC

Last edited:
We had loads of problems getting insurance for our Transit. The main reason was because it was not converted by a 'recognised' company i.e. Leisuredrive/Holdsworth etc.

Only two companies would insure us, MotorCaravanWise and Adrian Flux. Flux were quoting silly money but we got fully comp cover with MotorCaravanWise for £350. If that seems a little high to some people it is because I am only 27 and my partner is 26, apparently this still means we are inexperienced and irresponsible drivers!!

According to all consumer watchdogs renewing your insurance with the same insurer year on year is a HUGE sin. These companies spend too much time concentrating on NEW customers and completely forget to look after their EXISTING ones.

Thanks
Daniel

We use 'BUDGET' on-line, we paid £189 last year (hymer B694) but changed the van xmas and this year its £229 (hymer S820 60k replacement value), I don't think thats too bad.

I have been with Caravan guard for last 3 years but always get a few quotes to compare for my 20 month old Lunar premier, Safeguard £395 including breakdown, Camping and Caravanning Club £295 + extra for breakdown, Caravan Guard £244 including full breakdown. So guess who I am sticking with.

Re-newal

@ guerdeval,

If at a later date you decide to change Ins. Co. just make sure you notify this particular Co. that you are not renewing your ins. with them. A friend simply let his policy lapse at the re-newal date, as he went with a different Co. He was sent reminders to re-new & that they had extended his ins. to cover his alleged oversight. When he wrote to say he was now with another Co. he was asked to pay for the extension period. He's now in dispute.
Just a thought.

I have just sold the Bigmerc which was home built insured with CIS Cooperative insurance/ Cover comprehensive /one driver/ annual mileage 10,000/vehicle value/ market value/ voluntary excess £100/ no claim discount 67%/

THE GRAND total £141.84 for one year

Thats pretty good for a seven/half tonne truck registered as motorhome on log book

Thanks Bejay, yes they are a bit sharp, they tell you in the small print that they'll pinch your money unless you TELL THEM otherwise, I am going with Saga next time as they don't care how often you're out of the UK, I don't fully trust budget .

I pay £1100 a year fully comp, for a renault master conversion, valued at £3000. !!! but probably worth half that.
The reson its so high ? I am a performer .
Because I transport props I have to have commercial cover. ad to this a massive loading because I am in a "high risk" proffesion and it being a "non proffesional" conversion. I'm sure I could get a lower rate by lying but knowing me I'de get caught out.
I'm now trying to purchase a converted truck or coach but am having great trouble getting cover . Ide like to live in it but this is even a higher risk and have been advised not to even mention it. Stange that as I would have thought a vehicle that was guarded permenantly would be safer than one parked up and used occasionally ??

I have just sold the Bigmerc which was home built insured with CIS Cooperative insurance/ Cover comprehensive /one driver/ annual mileage 10,000/vehicle value/ market value/ voluntary excess £100/ no claim discount 67%/

Thats pretty good for a seven/half tonne truck registered as motorhome on log book

From what I understand, CIS are no longer accepting new business on Motorhomes

they refused to insure me as it was a conversion

may be a section could be added

to this site for recomended supliers of services ie ,ins /servicing /ferrys/recovery ect ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back