Motorcycle Drag Along

RelayRelay

Free Member
Hi All
I currently constructing a tow along mechanism for my motorbike. The bike is too big to go sideways across the back of the van and I didn't want a trailer.
The idea is to join and adapt a genuine Citroen Relay towbar and a purpose built motorcycle wheel chock to be put on and off the van when needed.

Question is........has anyone else done this and had success?

Thanks 🙏

Hi All
I currently constructing a tow along mechanism for my motorbike. The bike is too big to go sideways across the back of the van and I didn't want a trailer.
The idea is to join and adapt a genuine Citroen Relay towbar and a purpose built motorcycle wheel chock to be put on and off the van when needed.

Question is........has anyone else done this and had success?

Thanks 🙏
I'm guessing you mean something like this.
It would appear to make use of A frame 'guidance', which would mean you need to work out how to make the brake work.

It would appear to make use of A frame 'guidance', which would mean you need to work out how to make the brake work.
and the lights will have to work

and you would be subject to the towing speed limits and lane restrctions

Any A frame pulling something must have a bracking sys for whatever is being pulled.

Some good pointers on here to make sure you comply with the legal requirements .

Not required here but it must be legal, safty breakaway chain, lights, warning tryangle, mudgards, not that the police ever bother these days, but in the event of a accident keep yourself right.

As far as I know they can only be legally used for recovery work on broken down motorcycles. You can only tow a motorcycle on the road with a motorcycle.

Some great pointers there guys. Many thanks for the comments / feedback. I wasn't aware of the braking regs tbh.

Don't these types of things now have to have some sort of type approval? Or is that just towbars?

Some good pointers on here to make sure you comply with the legal requirements .

Good pointers, but as far as I know that approval isn't needed.
Isn't that for light trailers used for the carriage of goods? If you are only carrying your own motorbike, that's not goods.

Isn't that for light trailers used for the carriage of goods? If you are only carrying your own motorbike, that's not goods.
I did find this, it doesn't specify for goods.

AFAIK 'they' are refusing to give a IVA on A frames for cars as doing so would make them legal to use, ATM A frames come under the grey area of not being illegal to use.

Might be worth while contacting your insurance company for the bike and also the van ,
Just imagine the reaction if something goes wrong and 250 kg of motorcycle goes carrering down the carriageway , not sure id want to put my name on the paperwork

I have used A-frames for approximately 30 years for towing my car, the main reason for not wanting to use a trailer was having to stow a large trailer somewhere when not in use, an A-frame folds up and fits in the boot or under the van.
It is classed as a trailer and trailers less than 750KG do not need brakes but unfortunately, if it has brakes then they must work, the brakes must also disengage for reversing (even though it is highly unlikely that you would try to reverse this) so this idea
Personally, for a motorbike that is too heavy to fit on a rear rack, I would buy or build a small trailer, with no grey areas to contend with and no insurance problems

I have used A-frames for approximately 30 years for towing my car, the main reason for not wanting to use a trailer was having to stow a large trailer somewhere when not in use, an A-frame folds up and fits in the boot or under the van.
It is classed as a trailer and trailers less than 750KG do not need brakes but unfortunately, if it has brakes then they must work, the brakes must also disengage for reversing (even though it is highly unlikely that you would try to reverse this) so this idea
Personally, for a motorbike that is too heavy to fit on a rear rack, I would buy or build a small trailer, with no grey areas to contend with and no insurance problems
It does require brakes if you are pulling more than 750kg on or with it.

It does require brakes if you are pulling more than 750kg on or with it.
It is classed as a trailer and trailers less than 750KG do not need brakes but unfortunately, if it has brakes then they must work, the brakes must also disengage for reversing

This is why I said less than 750KG doesn't need brakes but if brakes are fitted (which they are) then they have to work even on trailers less than 750KG

Back