Morocco Jan18

Summer of 1992 3 weeks in a converted Army lorry with 14 others
View attachment 59318

OR Google Maps

nice trip. we go up dades and down todra ,either across just before tilmi or up to agoudal and down. lots carry on to midelt but we like coming down and doing the desert again .
mind alot of the old desert tracks have been tarmaced these days .
there are alot of adventures to be had though in maroc .
shame really they put so many m,ways in but then they are needed to take food and clothes north to europe . dont think uk and many countries in eu could cope without the moroccans these days .

We went to Morocco for 4 weeks in Jan 2014 (2 weeks getting there through the west side of France, Portugal and into Spain, 2 weeks getting back via the east side of Spain and into France) – we had a great time - this was our experience then.
You will need to carry snow chains to travel through the Pyrenes and some high passes in Morocco if there is snow forecast; although we avoided the snow so didn’t need them, a couple we met up with later on had been snowed in on one of the Moroccan passes the day after we went through, and had had to use theirs.
We parked overnight in Lidl, N-340, Algeciras, Spain (lots of Motorhomes parking there) - and did a large shop before we left (the ferry ticket office is on the other side of the road)
We have two 11Kg autogas – I forget where, but we were able to fill up in Spain before we left and this lasted us our trip
There was a v long queue for ferry tickets – 20,000 French motorhomes go to Morocco in January, but don’t worry they park like sardines along the coast!
The people were very friendly. The roads were brilliant. Campsites when you need them ok.
As well as all the usual tourist attractions, in Marrakech & Fes etc the Hassam II Mosque Grande Mosquée Hassan II in Casablanca was stunning and well worth the entrance fee.
We went to Merzouga (a small Moroccan town in the Sahara Desert, near the Algerian border) which was not as touristy as some of the other Saharan villages.
The coast was packed with sun-worshippers, but as were not one of them it didn’t bother us and we were able to find a space to park for the few days we were there.
Generally a great time – enjoy yourselves.

Morocco 2008-2009 3 305.jpgMorocco 2008-2009 3 309.jpgMorocco 2008-2009 3 422.jpgMorocco 2008-2009 3 115.jpgMorocco 2008-2009 3 207.jpg
yes you can get very deep snow in morocco azrou in the north can be bad but it is faily high up. but there is some nice roads going up the gorges at dades and todra . but the quiet of the desert at night etc its well worth going to have a look.
all along the east /south side is some fantastic places to disapear for a few days in the desert.

Gas

We have visiting Morocco from 2002, we now just buy a bottle then exchange when needed, the Bootle plus gas last year was 130/150 dirham 13 dirahm to the pound . When leaving Morocco we give the bottle to a local , we were treated to a meal in Marrakech in the Djemma El Fna , which you must goto in the evening a very cheap campsite just out .

Time is your enemy there just to much to see, we general do between 2/3 months at a time, wild camping use to be every were the King change this a number of year, ago but still loads ,water is the biggest issue.
Unfortunately several years ago we were tying to cross part of the Sahara at Xmas eve , we had to turn round being over 8 ton guess what , yes up to axle, fortunately for us a group Italian's with sand board turned up , the sand boards when we had finished looked like bananas , turn them over and 8ton straightened them. Still end up camping there though Xmas.

Great travel's Frank

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone managed to find LPG in Morocco??

Dot 😊

There is one Afriquigas LPG filling station in Morocco, seen photos of it but still don't know where it is.

I buy a 6kg bottle & feed it through the external filler point, Gaslow sell an adapter for this. Last year I took a filter as I thought Moroccan gas was pretty shitty but the cartridge was clean after 2 months.

Moroccan gas is V cheap, a 907 refill is 80p, a 6kg is about £2 & a 13kg is around £4. The state of the bottles is generally disgusting, they would be condemned in the UK. I dump it on the way back.

If the weather in S of Spain is crap at the end of the month, I'll be on that ferry across the straits.

Will be going over in Jan our 5th time we usually do the full three months and return in April, as far as refilling gas weve never had any luck in finding, but we buy the large moroccan bottles cost €4 to refill and back feed thru my BBQ point I bought a morrocan regulator and do it that way, try get the red afrique gas bottles although its all butane it seems cleaner, wilding is easier further south along the coast and towards the interior in the Draa valley and all along the cliffs past Tan Tan in the spanish saharah to layounne ,
Now that Tagazoute is no longer Tafroute is the popular place to end up
If you want any other advise please ask
Marc and Sam

Now near Agadir have been in Morocco for 12 days now, staying on campsites so our LPG gas is lasting ok 😊 Anyone near by ??

Now near Agadir have been in Morocco for 12 days now, staying on campsites so our LPG gas is lasting ok 😊 Anyone near by ??

Needn’t go near campsites in Agadir, we stay at the Stade Municipal, new parking charge signs went up last year, 1.5dh day & 2.5dh night. 40p for 24 hours!!. Yet no-one turned up to collect the dosh.

Very handy with MuckDonalds nearby 200mtrs for WiFi, toilets & coffee.

Love Agadir, we’ll be there beginning of Feb. I can’t stop thinking of that fresh fish & seafood at the Port.

The big gas depot should able to fill any gas bottle or at least give it a try,
just north out of Agadir coast road on the way to Tagazout etc.

There are places in north London more like Morocco than Agadir!
A city rebuilt for the package holiday mob after the earthquake,
you can get away with the western habits you perhaps wouldn't
elsewhere, plenty of cops to make sure!

Were at Sidi Kouki at the new site Camping Soleil, 50dh a day; been here a few days will stop a few more before we hit Immousaine, brand new good facilities, meandering along slowly while the sun is shining, If your looking for a WC further south between Mirleft and Aglou Plage at Sidi Bouifdail 29.6677 -9.98169, no services so make sure you got water and empty cassette,
Safe travels

Were at Sidi Kouki at the new site Camping Soleil, 50dh a day; been here a few days will stop a few more before we hit Immousaine, brand new good facilities, meandering along slowly while the sun is shining, If your looking for a WC further south between Mirleft and Aglou Plage at Sidi Bouifdail 29.6677 -9.98169, no services so make sure you got water and empty cassette,
Safe travels

What’s the weather like down there?, getting the ar$ehole with the rain in Spain, which, BTW, does not stay mainly on the plain, it seems to be everywhere!

They come and go , I think police have been more active this year . Noticed a few down by the port area at Guadamar but i dont think any facilities. Camper stops look pretty full by roundabout but you can use their facitities. Easier down south past Mazzeron I think

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back