Lpg

DRS

Hi I'm planning a three month tour of southeastern europe Romania, Bulgaria and Greece.
My problem is the availabilty of gas. I have been thinking of having a Gaslow system fitted but find the cost is putting me off.
My first question is has anybody had experience of using a Gaslow system and are they worth the money.
Two, if I were to take Calor gas cylinders with me is there any way that I can get them refilled abroad.
Is Camping Gaz available in these countries and would I be better of paying the extra cost and useing these during my trip.

Hi I'm planning a three month tour of southeastern europe Romania, Bulgaria and Greece.
My problem is the availabilty of gas. I have been thinking of having a Gaslow system fitted but find the cost is putting me off.
My first question is has anybody had experience of using a Gaslow system and are they worth the money.
Two, if I were to take Calor gas cylinders with me is there any way that I can get them refilled abroad.
Is Camping Gaz available in these countries and would I be better of paying the extra cost and useing these during my trip.

I have a gaslow refillable bottle with a remote filler my local boby shop cut the hole for the filler didnt take long at all, if your planning on keeping the van id say its worth the out lay

I have a gaslow refillable bottle with a remote filler my local boby shop cut the hole for the filler didnt take long at all, if your planning on keeping the van id say its worth the out lay

Hi,Cas , you've lost me hear,can I assume the Gaslow bottle is fixed somewhere to the van? and what is meant by a remote filler?:confused:

Thanks in anticipation

Hi,Cas , you've lost me hear,can I assume the Gaslow bottle is fixed somewhere to the van? and what is meant by a remote filler?:confused:

Thanks in anticipation

The bottle is removable just like a calor bottle, but I have a filler so i can fill up at the petrol station, like you would a lpg tank,

The bottle is removable just like a calor bottle, but I have a filler so i can fill up at the petrol station, like you would a lpg tank,

Sounds good to me but how can I get a hold of a remote filler, Thanks again;)

Sounds good to me but how can I get a hold of a remote filler, Thanks again;)

From the same place you would get your refillable bottle gasglow or someone like that the initial outlay is quite high but its a long term investment, or if you run on lpg some tanks have a take off for other uses but I wanted to keep mine seperate, everything has to be simple as Im on my own most of the time or with one of the kids

I recently bought this old van that had obviously just been on a tour of Europe, Two of these bottles were on board (apparently dutch), they are perfect dimentions for the van.

PICT0034_edited.jpg

It 's probably a daft question but would it be possible to get a regulator,remote filler and fitments to convert these bottles in the same manner as a gaslow system?:eek:

Or am I just shot to bits:p

Hi,i know this is too late for the original postee but for future travellers to Bulgaria,if you have room for 2 bottles?take 1 FULL from UK and buy second in BG,around £15 for a big bottle in most shops,regulator £4,swap UK van regulator for BG one and fill up at most petrol stations from LPG pump and connection(petrol station has connection to use).Just show bg cooker bottle and they will fill for you,cost approx 25 lev= 2.30 lev to £1.

Why not holiday and drive here to convert your PETROL camper to LPG,most garages do the conversion in 4 hours,costs 400 to 600 lev complete and you get a 'passport' of fitting! This gives you a FREE HOLIDAY as in UK lpg fitting is about £1200 isn't it compared to £170-250 !fuel injection motors cost more to convert though....:)

it might be cheaper and easyer to buy a bottle in the country you are visiting the deposits are not as high as calor and you can usualy get the deposit back when you leave the country
i think gas is getting a little more international as the eu expands
i carry a selection of regulators and couplings after deciding that the initial expence of gaslow was to costly unless you are going to use the van for periods of 9 months at a time its not cost efective

I don't think Gaslow is that expensive?

I paid £150 for a single 11Kg cylinder & filling kit & hose.
I fitted it myself it was a doddle.

My friend used the small 'GAZ' cylinders in his VW westfalia... they are very expensive in comparison.

I've just filled my 11Kg (today) cylinder and it cost £10.71 (0.51p per litre), this would last me around 4-6 weeks. When abroad we don't hook-up, unless it's free:D

My system is a two cylinder one refillable and one 'normal' propane.

I did managed to get both filled in portugal (yes even the normal one), and it costs around €15 per cylinder.

hth

Wilse

inital layout of around £400 for two bottle system
i believe this price was mentioned recently on this site
add to this the loss of the calor bottledeposit as none of us keep the bottle reciepts would add another £40
i think you would have to use quite a lot of gas to break even
may be it would take 4 years or so to recoup the cost of gaslow?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back