LPG in Europe

Fido

Last year I discovered that it is illegal to fill a caravan or Motorhome with LPG in Italy, for the gas bottles. Does anyone know of other Europe countries with similar restrictions.

Just come back from Italy . We have a gaslow system and was refused once. I think its something to do with tax regulations on domestic gas. Garage down the road filled us no problems, operative even came out and filled fir us.
No problems in Spain or Portugal for us. Had a bit if a drive around in Northern France last year as not that common and like UK I think some pumps being removed.

Just come back from Italy . We have a gaslow system and was refused once. I think its something to do with tax regulations on domestic gas. Garage down the road filled us no problems, operative even came out and filled fir us.
No problems in Spain or Portugal for us. Had a bit if a drive around in Northern France last year as not that common and like UK I think some pumps being removed.
Yes didn't have a problem in Italy .
Never a problem in Spain or , indeed , France?
Do you think the problem was regional ?

in italy tended to be the big outlets where the operator says no as above gas used for vehicles is at a higher level than domestic use so effectively you are paying more than you should so why stop you ?

In The Netherlands Shell does not like you to fill LPG but you are unlikely to have any problems as they only realise that you are using it for cooking rather than driving when you come to pay! They have never suggested taking it out. Other providers don't mind.
Beware, VERY difficult to find any filling points in Finland.

Yes didn't have a problem in Italy .
Never a problem in Spain or , indeed , France?
Do you think the problem was regional ?
I've never had a problem in France. In sparsely populated mountainous areas, it may be necessary to travel a considerable distance. I always check on http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ because the government knows where 99% of the filling stations are and what fuels they sell. :)

It's about tax rates i was told by a garage when refused.
Go to a small maybe hard-up more rural garage, they served us both times paid cash and gave a good tip.

Plenty advertising LPG in France & Belgium. Never had to travel far.
Yes agreed , it's just that the ones we visited had removed lpg. Apps still say available though so think people need to take care and not run their gas levels too low.

I've just filled up with LPG at a Galp station near Evora, Portugal.
I had to go to the cash desk to get the pump reset. Very friendly reception. As I was filling I saw a notice that LPG was only for vehicle fuel, not refilling cylinders. I only needed 12 litres so clearly just filling my Gaslow. On payment I was asked if I was managing OK in the heat, 42°C? (Yes no problems) and wished a good stay. Clearly a difference between the official line and desire to be fraud helpful.

several years ago our local garage stopped mh from buying lpg at his pumps he never did ss couldnt take anyone off the tills so always one of his fitters but with this top up culture they where out for 4 or 5 ltrs max still does boat bottles. top ups killed it off here

several years ago our local garage stopped mh from buying lpg at his pumps he never did ss couldnt take anyone off the tills so always one of his fitters but with this top up culture they where out for 4 or 5 ltrs max still does boat bottles. top ups killed it off here
We have 2 big bottles ,donyt know what size. Use 1 and keep 1 in reserve. When first one goes turn on second and look on ap where to fill. Currently in Spain maybe 20 to 30 euros . Usually fill diesel tank as well , could be 100 euros. If they don't want my business then I just drive to next town. Have always found somewhere but last year on france belgium border was a bit difficult.

In The Netherlands Shell does not like you to fill LPG but you are unlikely to have any problems as they only realise that you are using it for cooking rather than driving when you come to pay! They have never suggested taking it out. Other providers don't mind.
Beware, VERY difficult to find any filling points in Finland.
Ditto Norway, difficult.

We only use the self-service ones for top-ups. We've never been that desperate for gas, but if we were, it wouldn't be a top-up.😆

The top up situation is of their own creation I'd happily just fill up once a week but they are so scarce you have to top up unless you know for sure where you're headed that they have it and are open and nowadays, happy to let you fill up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back