Looking for an itinerary

duncanvale

Free Member
Hi,

we are looking to rent a motor home to see if it’s for us before we buy. We want to experience a bit of off grid as well as camping spots. Anybody have any itinerary’s that I could follow. We are based in Oxfordshire but can travel and hire from anywhere. Thanks in advance

I would agree with Rob. Been up in Scotland for a while now and seen a lot of hire vans from the North. Cumbria motorhomes seem popular.

We will only hire for 3/4 days so although Scotland is an option, I was hoping for somewhere between Yorkshire and Cornwall

Englandshire has some beautiful sleepy villages (such as in Oxfordshire etc. etc.) where you could probably find a wilding spot on a country lane, or even a country pub car park (with permission).

Many pubs now let people overnight on their car parks in exchange for your custom (meal or drinks) in the pub. Just ring in advance.

Being from Oxford please be aware that wild camping is almost non-existent.
However...join one of the clubs and look at their smaller sites.
Enough to choose from and will give you a good introduction.
I suggest not too much travel but maybe 150 miles on one day !
Being a new to you vehicle avoid narrow lanes and small carparks.
Try a wild camp for 1 night if you can .

We did exactly this, you’ll not only work out if a Motorhome is for you, you‘ll hopefully work out what you want from a Motorhome.

We went from Northamptonshire to the Lake District, over to Northumberland and back down the East Coast.

That gave us motorways, A Roads, Country Roads, camp sites and wild camping.

We loved the freedom but hated the van itself. Hated it with a passion.

But, when we came to buy a Motorhome we knew exactly what we wanted, and bought exactly what suits us first time.

Some hire companies give you temporary membership of ONE of the TWO major UK clubs. I was on the Camping and Caravanning Club site on Skye when someone turned up late in the evening to be told their membership was for the Caravan Club (NOW Caravan and Motorhome Club). They didn't want to pay the non-member fee so drove off, even though it was twilight. Pay attention to what you get!

Personally I would stay away from Cornwall but Dorset/Devon/Somerset are fairly good. Alternatively I would consider Lancashire/Yorkshire. Lincolnshire/Norfolk/Suffolk might be good: avoid Wales! As suggested, avoid narrow lanes/low bridges/trees and be aware of Low Emission Zones.

It can be a good life (in chunks of a couple of weeks at a time) or it can almost lead to divorce/murder. It's a good idea to try before you buy: have you camped/caravanned previously?

Gordon

Try before buy....
Are we talking motorhomes or marriage 😃😃
Just asking😇😇😇😇
I'd only known a particular girlfriend for a couple of weeks when I told her that I loved her. We married a few months later and we last year we celebrated our golden Anniversary.
We bought our first and only motorhome 16y ago.

Perhaps we're easily pleased?

Gordon

I've spotted loads of places in Oxfordshire where I could get away with wildcamping.
Plenty of places in Oxfordshire, Berkshire for the length of trip indicated. Add in Hampshire and Dorset if looking to go further afield. Just join as a full member and use the Location App.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back