Live-aboard insurance?

jaybird

We will be living-aboard our motorhome while we sell up in Merseyside and look for property elsewhere much more rural. as a bit of a newbie with all this (previously had a campervan just for social use) is there such a thing as live-aboard insurance or is it best to go for standard and just not tell them. we'll be living aboard at least a year i would have thought, longer if i have my way ;)

we have a custom built 7m x 2.2m mercedes 814. any recommendations for insurance co's gratefully received

:camper:

We will be living-aboard our motorhome while we sell up in Merseyside and look for property elsewhere much more rural. as a bit of a newbie with all this (previously had a campervan just for social use) is there such a thing as live-aboard insurance or is it best to go for standard and just not tell them. we'll be living aboard at least a year i would have thought, longer if i have my way ;)

we have a custom built 7m x 2.2m mercedes 814. any recommendations for insurance co's gratefully received

:camper:

You can always get insurance here for your motorhome :wave:

I would definately inform them, we have never been full timers, but have Safeguard insurance and they actually asked the question this year, so maybe worth contacting them, I think it must be becoming more popular, and would gather quite a bit more expensive.

Yep Definitely tell who ever you insure with your intentions, it’s just not worth the Worry or hassle in the event of a claim.
Good luck.

There are more than a few folk on here who full time in their Motorhomes and I’m sure one or more of them will be along shortly to suggest that you’re looking at a fourfold increase in your insurance premiums, maybe more. Probably still a lot less than a mortgage though. Some insurance companies/brokers specialize in this kind of policy. Have a look at previous threads on here about full timing, loads of info there.

Pat

It's an interesting discussion point.

In my policy document there is no restriction on occupancy period. The only limitation on cover is mileage related.

You would think that there is less risk of damage to the vehicle if it is occupied permanently.

I spend around eight or nine months in my 'van each year. Supposing that extended to eleven months and two weeks. What is the difference? Or indeed if it extended to twelve months ...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back