Lengths of time wildcamping

salgarfi

Hello All,

I'm a newbie and I've got a simple question. In the US of A, people can wild camp on government lands - Bureau of Land Management and Forestry Lands, and they can stay (I believe) for two weeks before they're obliged to move on. Of course, in the wilds of the southwestern deserts people can probably, and do, stay much longer. In the UK, I presume that a wild camper has to move on after a couple of days, but are their places on the continent where you can stay (wild camp) for a week or more? In all honesty, I find the idea of being able to pitch up in a relatively isolated place for a week or so, much more attractive than moving on every day or every other day.

What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Sal

I get bored with the scenery after 2 days no matter how beautiful it is and need to move on

I think it depends where it is. If your away from housing, not taking up space in a spot thats frequented by others and space is at a premium then I see no reason why you couldnt stay more than a couple of days. Generally for us five to six days is the max we would ever stay in a wild spot either here or on the mainland. I dont really like the idea of just staying one night which is basically just travelling so I like to find spots where I wont be a nuisance to others. It is easier on the mainland in Europe in places like France, especially up in the mountains or more remote areas but Mainland Europe of course also has thousands of Aires, Stellplatz and Sostas etc which are dedicated motorhome only stop overs many of which are free or low cost so I find we do a mixture of both. We prefer the wilds and mountains so finding a place on your own where you can stay a few days or longer isnt that difficult.

I did a little video a while back called wildcamping Gems. Mainly mainland Europe but also a few from the Scottish Islands. Might give you an idea of the sort of places I mean and like.

[video=youtube;TY2twBnpRkY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY2twBnpRkY[/video]

In the USA and in Australia, the length of time allowed in a free or low cost permit camp ranges from one night to 180 nights but it is your responsibility to dispose of waste according to regulations and that, and water supply are usually the factors that limit your stay rather than what is on the signs. Many Americans parked up for the winter in the southern states or in Baja either use paid service vehicles that come around and empty tanks and supply water, or they have their toad set up with water bladders and waste totes and make a trip to town every few days. Get caught running grey water on the ground in the states and it is a big deal. Best way to get a few more days is to fit huge water tanks and waste tanks and heaps of solar and batteries which is fine if you have a bigrig but just not possible if you have a smaller vehicle

I get bored with the scenery after 2 days no matter how beautiful it is and need to move on

I'm with this as well I think there's nothing worst than motorhomes staying put for a long time with washing lines tables and chairs etc as it's spoiling the image of motorhomers so like to move on every couple of days

I think it depends where it is. If your away from housing, not taking up space in a spot thats frequented by others and space is at a premium then I see no reason why you couldnt stay more than a couple of days. Generally for us five to six days is the max we would ever stay in a wild spot either here or on the mainland. I dont really like the idea of just staying one night which is basically just travelling so I like to find spots where I wont be a nuisance to others. It is easier on the mainland in Europe in places like France, especially up in the mountains or more remote areas but Mainland Europe of course also has thousands of Aires, Stellplatz and Sostas etc which are dedicated motorhome only stop overs many of which are free or low cost so I find we do a mixture of both. We prefer the wilds and mountains so finding a place on your own where you can stay a few days or longer isnt that difficult.

I like your video, and I too, and my other half, would like to be able to stay more than a night or two in a place without a constant or daily sense of having to move on. But it would be great to hear other peoples' views and opinions.

Sal

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back