LDV ( Lakes Damper Van) aka Lurch

Big bed camper

Finally got the damper useable and went away for a lads reunion in the lake district ( Nether wasdale) Had the most comfortable two nights sleep since I came out of hospital 7 months ago!
Still a couple of leaks in the front to sort but not coming from the screen after sealing it for the 3rd time!
This was my first ride out above about 20 miles and pleased to say for a big old van it went superbly, it romped up the hills in the lakes like a gazelle on heat and never misssed a beat. Whilst not particularly pretty as vans go as long as it remains reliable I will be happy with it.
Hopefully the pictures attached give some ideas of what it looks like in and out. Still some trimming to do, awning to attach, second leisure battery to possibly fit, overhead cab storage door and trim to sort, and laminate floor to lay.
It originally came with curtains which I used for the seat/mattress covers. Instead of curtains I made removable window panels from polystyrene covered in reflective bubble wrap material on the window side and trimmed to match the inside, they seem to work well. Led lighting runs under the cupboards.
should be off to Wells are a week on Saturday for a long weekend, looking forward to it.
Ann and I also got married on April 6th and used it as the wedding car! Unfortunate sign by the front of the van upon leaving the registry office!
The piccies are in no particular order. The criteria for the van was abig bed, we used to have a caravan and at 6ft 3 I found the bed in that a squeeze, so Lurch has a 6 foot 5 by 6 footish wide bed, the rest of the interior was worked around that requirement. Loads of under bed storage as a result. Toilet in cupboard by door. All water moved onboard so exterior fittings on body now redundant apart from gas bottle access ( this is in the red metal box visible in one pcture). Depending on use throughout the colder part of the year I may look into a propex or similar at some point. I also have a solar panel to fit to help leisure battery charging when the engine is not running.

ann getting in on wedding.jpgbed seat construction.jpgcupboard construction.jpgcupboard frames.jpgfuel for wedding.jpginterior rear.jpginterior stripped out and so it begins.jpginterior under construction.jpglake district May 2013.jpgme overlocking seat covers.jpgofficial seat and bed tester.jpgoffside view.jpgold curtains into seat covers on 8 inch memory foam mattress.jpgopen sink cooker.jpgseascale May 2013.jpgseat construction.jpgsink stove unit.jpg

Last edited:
Nice van but who's having a piddle:danger: behind the van in picture 9.

John.

Hello,

I have a (relatively recently acquired) LDV Convoy campervan (van, not minibus conversion though) as well.

Like yours mine had a leak and a wet cab floor / carpet when I got it. I did some web research and it seems the 2 most likely leak points are

1) The windscreen rubber (which splits at the corners - mine has and Sikkaflex silicon gloop filled the cracks & sorted it)
2) The seals around the wiper arms (the wiper rack & motor are inside the cab behind the scuttle, so if there's a leak round where they penetrate the scuttle the water runs straight down into the footwells).

I'm told that water can run onto the relays above the passenger front wheelarch and cause issues there too.

Hello,

I have a (relatively recently acquired) LDV Convoy campervan (van, not minibus conversion though) as well.

Like yours mine had a leak and a wet cab floor / carpet when I got it. I did some web research and it seems the 2 most likely leak points are

1) The windscreen rubber (which splits at the corners - mine has and Sikkaflex silicon gloop filled the cracks & sorted it)
2) The seals around the wiper arms (the wiper rack & motor are inside the cab behind the scuttle, so if there's a leak round where they penetrate the scuttle the water runs straight down into the footwells).

I'm told that water can run onto the relays above the passenger front wheelarch and cause issues there too.

Screen rubber done, wiper spindles and dummies done. Got to seal seems from wing to valance under screen as been told that can cause issues as well. Need to reseal glass lid to body at rear end as I think that is allowing water in onto rear o/s window frame, only a slow drip but a drip none the less.

Looks great. Totally different from ours, but then we needed room for 4 to sleep. We had the wet front floor problem too, which was caused by the seals around the wiper arms leaking. It didn't help that the van sits reversed into our drive which slopes towards the house, causing the water to sit in the wee cup at the front of the seal.

Have fun with Lurch

Alison

Love the idea of going to your wedding in the van, well done.
I like the picture taken at Seascale car park, it's where I come from :)

I will be back there next May bank holiday, as I have been for the last 10 or so years! I regard it as my chill weekend. :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back