laptop internet whilst wild camping

bassplayer

I'll be in my van pretty much all the time from the end of the month. Does anyone out there have any advice on laptop internet whilst wild camping. I don't usually find myself anywhere near "hot spots" as I'm usually over the hills and far away. Have heard about a card from vodafone that just plugs into the usb slot on your laptop, but don't know anyone who's used one.

Cheers Knoxy. Seems like a data card may be what I need. T.T.F.N.

Wild Connection

Bassy, Vodafone have a 3G/GPRS data card and the tarriff works out at just £30/month for a 250mb download. If you acceed that, then you obviously pay over £30. I think thats the cheapest tarriff at the moment. 3G will give you broadband speeds, but if you are on top of a hill or in a location where 3G isn't available the connection will (should) default to GPRS, which will do the job, but not too fast. If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot then you will have no difficulties. Here's a link to Data card forums which will give you loads of advice...

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/forumdisplay.php?f=303

Good luck...

Journeyman said:
Bassy, Vodafone have a 3G/GPRS data card and the tarriff works out at just £30/month for a 250mb download. If you acceed that, then you obviously pay over £30. I think thats the cheapest tarriff at the moment. 3G will give you broadband speeds, but if you are on top of a hill or in a location where 3G isn't available the connection will (should) default to GPRS, which will do the job, but not too fast. If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot then you will have no difficulties. Here's a link to Data card forums which will give you loads of advice...

http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/forumdisplay.php?f=303

Good luck...

I phoned Vodafone about this and as an existing long term customer I got the card for free. It arrived the next day and after loading the software into the laptop I was on line. I am sending this from my motorhome on a site where there is no telephone so it works. 250mb per month under £30

Thanks for the info

I got an ADVENT WIRELESS MODEM that plugs into my laptop for £40 from ebay, it came with a t-mobile sim card and its £1 a day and you only pay on the days you actualy use it, but either iam doing somthing wrong or it is just crap because it takes forever to do anything on it, iam not expecting broadband but it would be nice tou change pages with in the hour.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back