Kerrera Island

Fisherman

We also visited Kerrera island on our last trip. It would take to long to do both the north and south walks so we did the north walk. This gives us an excuse to go back next year and do the larger south walk. Kerrera Island is the island across from Oban. The crossing only takes 5 minutes on the smallest ferry that Calmac run the Cavoria. The crossing is two miles south of Oban at Gallanach.
We headed across from Oban and visited the famous lean to shop, were you can buy food, sweets, and hats etc. no one is there and you pay using their honesty box. We then headed for the David Hutchison memorial. He made improvements to steam engines, and his memorial can be seen from accross the water in Oban at the top of a hill.

Word of warning the car park for the ferry was almost full at 8 in the morning with islanders cars. So parking at the ferry terminal may be an issue. The islanders mostly run two cars, one on the island, and one on the mainland.

IMG_8094.jpeg
IMG_8096.jpeg
IMG_8100.jpeg
IMG_8101.jpeg
IMG_8102.jpeg
IMG_8110.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like you got decent weather for your hike Bill, the modern home below the monument is interesting.

We were lucky with the weather Terry.
We did the shorter north walk which takes two hours.
We just got back to the van and it started raining.

Brings back memories, used to stay at the marina situated on Kerrera between 2005 and 2011 as a stop off on our way further up the West coast, back then there were no pontoon berths in Oban, the marina used to have a free shuttle boat that ferried you between the marina and Oban. Don't know if it's still there at the marina, but they used to have a marquee that they used to cook fresh fish in, the fish platter was unbelievable value. I believe shortly after our last visit it was put up for sale and a caravan park owner bought it. Also the sea plane used to land there from Glasgow and use one of the marinas mooring boys.

Much modern history has Kerrera. The marina was the mooring point for Catalina and Sunderland flying boats at Ardantrive Bay during WW2, the original slip is still in use, as is a similar slip at Ganavan Sands. North of the islands are the remains of a Sunderland Flying Boat, me and my buddy found it late 90's, along with three PBY Catalina Flying Boats, various depths.

Close to the shore of the bay is/was the wreck of the Hyacinth, which breaks the surface at low water. SW of the bay at around 35 metre mark lies the wreck of the Helen Wilson, use to be a manky vis dive due to fish farms pens over part of the wreck. There are other wrecks around the bay area.

Further SW (turn left as you disembark the ferry) is Horseshoe Bay, the first transatlantic cable from the Americas terminated at this point.

There you go, some useless information for you.

Last edited:
The first transatlantic cable terminated in Cornwall and Porthcuno in 1866.

The first submarine laid TAT-1 quality transatlantic cable through which telephone calls could be made indeed did terminate in Horseshoe Bay in 1956.

For those who may be slightly confused such as myself!

The first submarine laid TAT-1 quality transatlantic cable through which telephone calls could be made indeed did terminate in Horseshoe Bay in 1956.

Terry probably meant the first transatlantic cable system to reach the U.K.

TAT-1

TAT-1 (Transatlantic No. 1) was the first submarine transatlantic telephone cablesystem. It was laid between Kerrera, Oban, Scotland and Clarenville, Newfoundland. Two cables were laid between 1955 and 1956 with one cable for each direction.

My reference was to TAT1, apologies for the confusion.

A short but good read for anyone planning a trip over to Kerrera.

Edit: top left on page link above, click on map view, there is a cracking OS map with more detail to view.

Last edited:
Back