jumping out of gear!

roundisland

Just seen a camper i'm interested in but the seller has told me that it has just started to jump out of 5th gear but no noise coming from the gear box.

Does anyone know if that is an expensive fix?

thanks

Patrick

depends what make the van is ?????front wheel drive or rear drive but if it is cheap enough, dam good haggle may bring price down a bit more to go towards repair :D. also if it s only 5th gear you can still use while saving the readies for repair, my old beddys only get 4 gears so thats one problem i will never get:D:D:D main thing is the dreaded tin worm

We have a van that is based on a Peugeot J5 which is the same base. It started just coming out of 5th without much effort then it started jumping out of gear and finally wouldn't stay in 5th. Not a difficult job to replace the gear but the problem is that the piece is not available. Our garage managed to find a 5th gear on a friend of his shelf and fitted it and now no problems! Otherwise we would still be driving round with only 4 gears!!

ps the non availability of the gear only applies to the early pre 1992 ish vans

Last edited:
hi peugeot fiat talbot and citroen all same basic body, the mechanicals are all pretty standard across the board. one thing that is easy on them is access to the engine and gearbox as the whole front panel unbolts with i think are 4 bolts most mechanicals are still available and as i say there is a guy in dorset will supply 99% of parts no1 gear they call him

If the worse comes :confused: then Delphin Designs, in Dorset, will supply complete gearboxes from £500ish. :eek: I do know that no 1 gear is always :D reconditioning gearboxes :rolleyes: but I don't know his price, but always worth a ring. :cool: You can ring him anytime on his website address's telephone no. :cool: If you get the engaged tone he has most likely taken it off the hook whilst he is working on a gearbox. ;) However he doesn't mind if you ring him at NIGHT!! :cool: :p JIM

Just seen a camper i'm interested in but the seller has told me that it has just started to jump out of 5th gear but no noise coming from the gear box.

Does anyone know if that is an expensive fix?

thanks

Patrick

seems an excellent price for you to be able to absorb the potential repair costs. is that damp stains coming through in the photo of the bathroom?

take a chance

the whole fifth gear assy can be changed in situ easy job may be mainshaft nut loose quite common

Check the Bias Spring is not distorted or fallen out all together!!!

It looks the same J5 as I have. BUT: I don't like you to have the same problems and costs I recently had with the 5th on such gearbox :eek:. A swap-gearbox costed me 2300 € :mad:
These gearboxes are real sh*t, the 5th doesn't get enough lube. :mad:
I shouldn't trust it; jumping out is not a good sign I fear :eek:
On the other hand : 50000 miles is not much for a 20 year old van (if this is correct ?)

Thanks for all the replies at the end I never went through with the purchase .

but I've seen a another one that I've been offered for £3200.00

Its been fully damped proof with receipts

been resprayed too If anyone has time to take a look and pass on there thoughts much appreciated for this and all the other excellent advice offered so far.

Its just for me maybe i don't need anything that big but I'm an artist by profession so the extra space might be nice.

thanks again

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250295435880&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=015

Roundisland, the motor looks OK :confused: but nothing beats going to have a proper look round it!! :eek: As usual, though, take the mpg with a pinch of salt. :p I'm not calling the guy a fibber :) but I have not heard that claim before!! We have a Fiat hi-top (see pic) :cool: and on holiday two weeks ago we got our best ever of 26.4mpg on one leg. ;) Overall we did 23.2mpg over 1280 mls up to Scotland. :cool: I have been told that this is quite reasonable for this engine. :rolleyes: However it has now been booked in for LPG fitting in 3 wks time so we should get even more (theoretical) mpg out of it. Or rather more miles per £!! :cool: JIM.

Afterthewheels.jpg

looks a nice van but as said a good look round the van is highly recommended sometimes impossible with something on e bay as they are so far away but i suppose that if you do buy and when you get there if you dont feel that the item is as described 100% you can walk away better to be classed as a time waister than throw 3 to 4 k away. i always am a little skeptical about the ads that say re listed due to non payers or time wasters you dont travel miles to see something and then walk away for nothing , as it could be someone who genuinely went to see the van and found something wrong makes you wonder sometimes when you see them re list sometimes twice and then blame time wasters

Thanks for both replies. Looking at the van before buying would be the most sensible approach but my location makes this difficult(27 miles off lands end)

I've spoken to him on the phone and he has assured me:rolleyes: its a excellent van..your right walking away is always an option.

Still pondering the merlin, as soon as I'm a proud owner i will post a pic of my purchase.

Jumping out of gear

Roundisland, the motor looks OK :confused: but nothing beats going to have a proper look round it!! :eek: As usual, though, take the mpg with a pinch of salt. :p I'm not calling the guy a fibber :) but I have not heard that claim before!! We have a Fiat hi-top (see pic) :cool: and on holiday two weeks ago we got our best ever of 26.4mpg on one leg. ;) Overall we did 23.2mpg over 1280 mls up to Scotland. :cool: I have been told that this is quite reasonable for this engine. :rolleyes: However it has now been booked in for LPG fitting in 3 wks time so we should get even more (theoretical) mpg out of it. Or rather more miles per £!! :cool: JIM.

Afterthewheels.jpg

You have finally found somewhere for the lpg tank,keep us all updated,Andy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back