it may be small....

• Thread starter matttransitconnect
  • Start date

matttransitconnect

this is my transit connect. finished the conversion around oct and have spent almost everyweekend since away in it. I converted a berlingo before ( that was tiny!) so this is great.

Its slightly smaller than a VW transporter. Not quite as flash as some of the vans on this forum (im always impressed at the quality of the job people do) recently spent a week in the highlands and the van was great, its mostly used for surf/mountainbike trips in south wales, cornwall and devon (give me a knock if you see me about!)

Henrylookingamazing.jpg

Table1_small.jpg

Thediningroomsmall.jpg

Henry_small.jpg

doublebed.jpg

Looks great, you can always play chess on the floor & furniture on those dark winter nights :rolleyes:
My daughter is thinking about a small camper & something that size would probably work out ok for her.

Small is Beautiful and I think you've made very good use of the available space. I have a Renault Kangoo conversion which is even smaller, just like your Berlingo, so I'm always interested in smaller-van conversions.

A topical question at the moment: is it insulated?

Also, as a DIY conversion/adaptation, did you have any difficulty in insuring it? (This is an ongoing problem for me when converting a van because I need business use insurance which must also include carriage of own goods - and campervan insurers won't touch me!).

yes fully insulated. Therma-wrap floor walls and ceiling. Loft insulation stuffed in any gap it can be then ply lining and carpet ontop of that.

My van is still classed as a van - the insurance company know there is wooden furniture and carpet in their...however i believe to be classed as a camper on V5 it must have a permanant water store at all times. tesco insurance said wooden racking in a van is nothing unusual so its fine......my berlingo had an engine fire and was written off - insurance paid out fine with camper van interior so i dont think there is a problem.

Excellent! This sounds promising.

I think on the V5 a van has to have a cooker, table, seating, wardrobe and fixed bed in order to be classed as a 'camper'. Mine would have a sink plus jerrican arrangement and bank of lockers to form the bed so similar to yours - but no cooker.

sounds very similar set up...mine is just a camping stove (so officially isnt kept in there....no different to having one in the car when driving on holiday for a camping trip.
tesco were great about it and gave me a very good quote. all my friends who have converted "surf vans" follow the same rule - its no different to a van with wooden racking. surely sleeping in the van means less chance of it being stolen!!!

Very nice and looks super cozy too.

I'd always wondered about how those little transits would look when converted. I thought with the slightly higher roof they would make a good base vehicle.

I'm surprised one of the pro converters hasn't had a go yet. I looked at the NEC show but can't remember any Transit Connects. Maybe someone will get an idea from your van!

yeh i expected to see one at the NEC. I dont know why it hasnt been chosen - small motorhomes seems to be a euro thing with berlingo vans and a Nemo. Havnt seen any others on the road yet either......I sort of like being unique :D but it has made a great small base vehicle, the high roof makes it work, its only just smaller than a t4 transporter.

love it mate .. great job you have done:) where do you go on the mountain bike trips mate? my hubby goes to cwmcarn scenic allot :D

cheers! yeh in south wales most of the time - cwmcarn, afan and glyncorrwg(i think thats spelt right!) spend most weekends in south wales trying to get as much surfing and mountainbiking in until i have to return to good old worcester in the week :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back