It aint all bangers n beans

nowhereman

It is getting harder to find suitable wildcamping spots where a fire can be built for cooking. We prefer all our food cooked out in the open ,and do so whenever we can. We thought it would be nice to share a couple of our wild food favourite recipies that we have created ourselves and as far as I know you will not find these in Delias book:)
Venison is easily aquired in Scotland, remember if you knock it over it is illegal to pick it up but the person driving behind you can. Very simple recipe once your venison is cut into joints create pockets deep in the meat and stuff with whatever fruit is in season, we have used red currants, rasps and wild damson. Mix the fruit with honey or sugar and if possible a large glug of whiskey and push deeply into the pockets, if the mixture lies on the surface of the meat it will tend to burn so make sure it is deep. The longer it is left in the meat the better as it will act as a marinade.
Sprinkle with rocksalt and cook over the fire.

Pike, (not used mutch in this country but we love it). Catch it clean and descale, marinate in brandy and honey for a few hours stuff with wild samphire, wrap it in wet newspaper or foil and cook on the embers of the fire covering it over with more embers.

Eel, wor lass is a dutchy and she loves eel, this is where my secret weapon is used, it is a hot smoker, we always have it with us and can use it where fires are not allowed. Marinate eel in a mix of salt water(if you are going to use a smoker then marination with brine is recomended so that the flavour of the smoke is held) with sugar and pernod and hot smoke until cooked. Serve on a bed of wild greens such as sea kale.

The list is of recipies is never ending, only limited by imagination, would love to hear your favourite wildcamping food recipies.
By the way we do cook without using alcohol sometimes for example there is erm, well theres the er mmm ...........

Ian n Erna

Thanks for these buddy, the venison one will be put to use at some point as it is a meat I have never tried. I do fancy giving it a go at some point. :)

Wild food revenge

I deliberatly left out pheasant from the above recipies because one of them recognised me whilst I was driving on the 697 yesterday and decided to avenge its mates by flying into my windscreen as I was doing 60. This will cost me £100 as a windscreen excess on my insurance. Now i'm waiting for some hate filled bambi to do a kamikaze on me and write off my front end.

Last edited:
Interesting posts,Ian;), keep them coming:rolleyes:, any experience with hog roast or pit roasting?:eek:

nowhereman;43409 Eel said:
A flemish recipe of eel (the nearest you can get to please your 'dutchy', nowhereman:confused: ):
"Paling in’t groen" (“eel in the green” ?)
Divide the eel in pieces of about 2”
Fry minced shallots (small ognions) and the eel for 3 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
Add minced greens: parsley, chervil, sage, sorrel, spinach, mint, dragon, nettles, (whatever you got or find in nature) have it fried for another 3 minutes.
Add a glass of white wine, or beer. Allow to simmer for a few munites.
Beat up some egg-yolk with lemonjuice.
Put everything together; let it simmer for a very short while.
Serve with bread; or to make it more ‘Flemish’: fries and beer (everything stronger than Stella :rolleyes:)
(Jeezes, translating this was more difficult than preparing it ! :eek:)
Smakelijk :p

Hey Lenny, never done the pit roast yet, probably because its hard enough to find somewhere to light a fire these days never mind digging a bl**dy big hole next to it:). Have spit roasted a whole pig though. The spit was borrowed from the farm that supplied the pig. finding somewhere to set a fire to cook it was a challenge as it had to be cooked on the patio of a little country pub, eventually I decided to empty all the plants out of an old cast iron bath that stood at the front of the pub. Got the bath round onto the patio, was a perfect fit for the spit to be set up over it. Started a fire in the bath with oak wood, stuffed the pig with apples and stitched it up with butchers string. Once the fire was glowing the pig was hoisted over it and if I remember correctly it took me about 6 hours or more of rotating the spit before the pig was cooked, complete with crackling, luckily I was supplied with a steady stream of real ale to keep me cool as I turned the spit. Was a great success and the pork was enjoyed by all who turned up for the feast.
Ian
edit to above, just remembered it was stitched with wire not butcher string

Last edited:
A flemish recipe of eel (the nearest you can get to please your 'dutchy', nowhereman:confused: ):
"Paling in’t groen" (“eel in the green” ?)
Divide the eel in pieces of about 2”
Fry minced shallots (small ognions) and the eel for 3 minutes. Add pepper and salt.
Add minced greens: parsley, chervil, sage, sorrel, spinach, mint, dragon, nettles, (whatever you got or find in nature) have it fried for another 3 minutes.
Add a glass of white wine, or beer. Allow to simmer for a few munites.
Beat up some egg-yolk with lemonjuice.
Put everything together; let it simmer for a very short while.
Serve with bread; or to make it more ‘Flemish’: fries and beer (everything stronger than Stella :rolleyes:)
(Jeezes, translating this was more difficult than preparing it ! :eek:)
Smakelijk :p

Dank u wel Belgian, sounds appertising. Eel is one of my favourites also, but cant beat the dutch zoute haring with raw onions and bread, with a cold bottle of kannonetje. :)

Dank u wel Belgian, sounds appertising. Eel is one of my favourites also, but cant beat the dutch zoute haring with onions and bread, with a cold bottle of kannonetje. :)
... of een rolmops met ajuinschijfjes en een geneverke :):confused:
(rolled herring with ognionslices and dutch gin - for the non-lettered :D)

... of een rolmops met ajuinschijfjes en een geneverke :):confused:
(rolled herring with ognionslices and dutch gin - for the non-lettered :D)

dont know about the rolmops but the gin sounds good:D i prefer mine with a drop of tonic water

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back