Isle of Man

• Thread starter Deleted member 86180
  • Start date

Deleted member 86180

Hi all, I decided to have a good look at poi’s listed for the Isle of Man (some were mine). I’ve added some and amended those appearing vague or inappropriate from a local point of view. Hope this helps anyone looking to visit the island. Although expensive to visit by sea, freedom to wild camp remains as yet mostly unchallenged. Long may this prevail but please please be considerate if visiting because like our cousins in the U.K. many people have chosen to buy campers in order to holiday locally by way of staycationing rather than ‘way of life’ living. Our borders will undoubtedly relax soon so please enjoy our lovely island, but also respect it in order that our relaxed way of life can continue without challenge. Stay safe.

Love the IOM and brilliant with a motorhome. I hope to be there for the TT next year. This is at the Ayres nature reserve which approves motorhome stays.

511EC8A6-851C-45F4-9D6D-2ADC24533965.png

The Ayres nature reserve are cautious right now about the number of ‘newbies’ leaving rubbish, nails from burned pallets and worse. Covid fallout 🙄. We avoid the Point of Ayre now for fear of being blamed (It’s become the Mecca for local staycation newbies). Smeale is not far from the Ayres, it’s a bigger area and a really good place to go as long as you avoid marked out breading sites. They only release 500 (free) permits each year and they’ve been free up until now…..they do check who’s there, if your reg isn’t recognised you are told to leave. They specify 15 self contained vehicles only/night. We’ve seen double that lately (but permits are checked and I‘ve never seen anyone told to move for lack of one). I take photographs when we get there in case we need to prove how many campers were there when we arrived.

There aren’t any shops or facilities for miles and that seems to put most irresponsible newbies off. Fires and bbq’s are allowed as long as they are off ground which really enhances the place. Its a dark sky site and is completely that, on clear nights the Milky Way is outstanding as are meteors, satellites etc. Not everyone’s cup of tea but for those among us needing to disappear off grid for a week or more it’s perfect.

I‘m not sure if U.K. registrations are allowed to apply for permits, but I’d be happy to give details to anyone interested about how to apply.

Attachments

• 936C95FC-5EBE-40AA-9C44-12DF49E01333.jpeg
    936C95FC-5EBE-40AA-9C44-12DF49E01333.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 139
The Ayres nature reserve are cautious right now about the number of ‘newbies’ leaving rubbish, nails from burned pallets and worse. Covid fallout 🙄. We avoid the Point of Ayre now for fear of being blamed (It’s become the Mecca for local staycation newbies). Smeale is not far from the Ayres, it’s a bigger area and a really good place to go as long as you avoid marked out breading sites. They only release 500 (free) permits each year and they’ve been free up until now…..they do check who’s there, if your reg isn’t recognised you are told to leave. They specify 15 self contained vehicles only/night. We’ve seen double that lately (but permits are checked and I‘ve never seen anyone told to move for lack of one). I take photographs when we get there in case we need to prove how many campers were there when we arrived.

There aren’t any shops or facilities for miles and that seems to put most irresponsible newbies off. Fires and bbq’s are allowed as long as they are off ground which really enhances the place. Its a dark sky site and is completely that, on clear nights the Milky Way is outstanding as are meteors, satellites etc. Not everyone’s cup of tea but for those among us needing to disappear off grid for a week or more it’s perfect.

I‘m not sure if U.K. registrations are allowed to apply for permits, but I’d be happy to give details to anyone interested about how to apply.

Thanks for that info. When I was there a couple of years ago the warden came round and gave us a permit, no other vans about that night but they did move on someone in a tent. I think that we stayed at Smeale. Certainly a wonderful spot.

Thanks for that info. When I was there a couple of years ago the warden came round and gave us a permit, no other vans about that night but they did move on someone in a tent. I think that we stayed at Smeale. Certainly a wonderful spot.
Smeale is a truly wonderful wild camping place, when people abuse them change happens. Everyone has to apply to DEFA, we make a point of doing it as early in the year as possible. Although DEFA call the shots, enforcement has been privatised. Thinking G4s but will stand corrected. No biggie as far as enjoyment goes. Apart from proving you arrived when there are less than 15 campers present (as if 🙄). They ain’t blessed with the ability to make decisions but they do respond well to responsible permitted attendees 😎😉

A well intended poster earlier this evening questioned me about Manx legislation around motorcycle laws, the Isle of Man has it‘s own jurisdiction quite separate from the U.K. and there are a few anomalies.

Happy to talk with anyone here thinking about wilding here. 👌🇮🇲

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back