Isle Of Man

pappajohn

hi,
has anyone ever taken their van to the isle of man.
any info appreciated.

john

I go over every year for the Manx Grand Prix. The last week in August, unfortunately not in the camper. A few mates do and they stop anywhere from the mountain roads to the seafront at Ramsey, no one bothers you at all,parking on the carpark in Douglas by the marina is free from 5pm to 8am handy to stagger from the British Legion. If I can get my motorbike in our next camper I shall do it next year. The Isle Of Man steam racket sorry Steam packet charged my mate £330 return for 1 person and a motorhome under 5.5 mtrs.....

isnt it illegal to wildcamp on the isle of man....or an island somewhere like that!!! im sure iv seen that somewhere!!!
i may be wrong....:confused:

I don,t know if it is illegal or not, but ive been to the TT from the late sixties to the late seventys and slept in the back of a transit on airbeds anb blokes still do, without trouble....er am i showin me age.
PS....I tend to need more comfort when I go now

Slim said:
I go over every year for the Manx Grand Prix. The last week in August, unfortunately not in the camper. A few mates do and they stop anywhere from the mountain roads to the seafront at Ramsey, no one bothers you at all,parking on the carpark in Douglas by the marina is free from 5pm to 8am handy to stagger from the British Legion. If I can get my motorbike in our next camper I shall do it next year. The Isle Of Man steam racket sorry Steam packet charged my mate £330 return for 1 person and a motorhome under 5.5 mtrs.....

thanks for that slim.
ferry sounds a ripoff, wonder what psi id need to get the kontiki to float:D
just a thought for next year.
last time i went to the TT was 1976 and the ferry was £9 return and the hotel was £40 b+b for the week. there again my wage was only around £20 pw. happy days long gone.

john.

Samm it may be illegal... but then so is riding without a helmet, doing burn-outs in the high street, riding topless and pulling wheelies along the prom' but during TT week I've seen it all!! I've even seen the police stop the traffic so a chap could do a really big burn-out, then ask him if he's finished before allowing the traffic to flow - try that in your local high street!!!

pappajohn said:
hi,
has anyone ever taken their van to the isle of man.
any info appreciated.

john
Just found out you can stay at Mooragh park in Ramsey for up to 14 nights free, just take your insurance to Ramsey town hall for a free permit, lovely place opposite the sea. You can also stay at Sulby Claddagh in the north, free for 14 nights owned by the gov NTrust, toilets/washing & water point close to 2 pubs & 1 shop (you can leave for 1 night come back and start again, both places encourage motorhomes to stay. If you go on the ferry other than TT and Manx GP week its nearly half the price depending which day you travel :) (just rip off the bikers)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back