Is this motorhome worth it?

PaulC

The owner is a bit vague but the details are as follows, M reg 2.4 diesel mercedes, 200K miles, single rear axle, Forester 2 berth model with toilet and cooker for £2500? Service and belt changers not known. And I didn't ask about the MOT!!

Last edited:
Hi Paul

with that type of mileage and no paperwork, you may be buying trouble! Have you seen the van?? What would be the point of spending £2,500 just to find out that you'll need to spend more on it later..

Have you thought about the auctions?? I bought a van up near Measham (British Car Autions) a couple of months ago and saved myself around £5000!! Lloyds finance put a lot of there repositions through the auction and they do go quite cheap.. Plus as a private buyer you can win hands down on the dealers there as they all need to make a profit.

If you try and log onto;

http://cav.auctionview.co.uk/MainMenu.asp Then click on the Motorhome/Caravan section, that will take you through to the stock locator. Press view results and it will show you what is on offer. The auctions are held at a few different locations around the country and I must admit it's quite fun going to one..

There are old and new vans, small and all the way up to the big RV's. I've bought two van through the auctions over the years and you can save yourself a small fortune!!

Just a thought!!

Andy

Thanks for the reply. I've bought my last thrree cars from auctions! But I thought mercs took that sort of starship mileage in their stride? Anyhow as I'm a bit under the weather it might be gone by the time I get there!

PS Link is not valid!

Last edited:
Sorry about the link, it's just as easy to go through to the 'British Car Auctions' Website (www.british-car-auctions.co.uk) go over to the commercial auction view section and press the search button and that take you there..... :)

After some further research I can only conclude that the "Forester" model is made up, a home conversion in other words, but the owner claimed it was not, unless anybody knows otherwise? What sort of MPG will it likely return?

the merc 2.4 diesel will outlive the bodywork IF serviced well, 200k is ok. mechanical s on those things are bullet proof if looked after. also parts if needed are pretty cheapish unless you use merc dealers :eek::eek: as far as i can remember front wings are bolt on so an easy change if needed as for mpg i think mid to upper 20s is reasonable. mot is always important but it will not realy give a true indication of the condition of the van after all it is just an opinion of that tester on that day, have a good look round and ask questions you can always bid with a pair of size 10s and offer him 1800 quid he may settle for 2k they are a good motor

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back