Is this idea workable?

nowhereman

Hi guys,
My partner son and I are fulltiming in a self build sprinter. We do not have any income other than what we can make on the road.
We are both silversmiths and have workshop equipment with us. One of the styles that we used when we had our own jewellery studio was an old polish technique using pure silver and sterling silver. This style although quite difficult allows the making of rings pendants etc without solder, and needs only a torch and minimal tools. We can make a piece of one off jewellery while the client waits, for as little as a tenner.
As we are wild campers only our trading opportunities are limited but we still get by.
Now my question, do you more experienced campsite users think any campsites would be approachable in us setting up for a day and making rings on site outside our van.? Obviously paying a fee and pecentage of any money made to the campsite owners and showing proof of our public liability insurance.
Just an idea thats been niggling me for a while, prob a daft idea that wont stand a chance but just wondered if you guys had any comment or ideas on the subject,
thanks Ian

Welcome on using your first post Ian!! :p :D :D I can't help with your question, other than to say "go ahead and give it a try." :cool: They can only say no, in a very loud voice if you ask a site owner. :eek: :eek: Have you thought of one of the big weekend markets, like Penrith, Ingliston, Leeds, Blackbush or any of the larger car boots/markets like Fleetwood, Hesketh Bank or even Burscough? :confused: I know that you have tried the craft markets and fairs. :cool: We wish you all the best of luck in finding outlets for your work. I must admit that if I had known, up at Peebles, that it didn't take long to make I would have bought one off you!! :cool: :cool: JIM

I have to agree with Jimmnlizz on the weekend markets being your best bet,I was on a site recently where a local man turned up every day in his car and mingled with people sitting around their vans
,then he would bring out his drawing pad and pencils and ask people at random if they wanted their dog or whatever drawn. He got some takers ,me being one of them:(, . he got awy with it because he kept a low profile and the site owners were unawhere of what was going on,otherwise I think they would have chased him, just like they chased the ice cream man who tried to set up stall outside the site.
I wish you luck in your venture and I will ask around on any sites that I visit:)

As Jim says ,If I had known ,I would have probably bought one for the wife, maybe the next meet:cool: GOOD LUCK

There's always what this lot get up to Lyon but I suspect that's not quite what you meant...

a8e99ec9.jpg

Is this idea workable

Hi Ian,don't think many of the commercial campsites would be to keen on it but can always ask.Lenny and Jiminlizz have given you the best option at least you would only pay a set price for your stall any other profits you make would be your own,best of luck in your venture(we can all only spend what we earn)Andy.

Thanks for the replies guys. We have a licence to trade at Edinburgh, and can do that when we need to. As for the market idea, they are a little to tying and have all sorts of regs and priority rules not quite suiting to a nomadic life, although we did do them for a while before we had our own studio.
Think I was trying to kill three birds with one stone with the campsite idea...traveling somewhere new, a place to overnight and a few quid. I think I agree it might not go down to well at most sites, probably touches on the tinker selling clothes pegs scenario a wee bit.
Would be nice to find a good balance of non restricted lifestyle, travel and earning a few quid all at the same time without having to take part in the rat race again.
Cheers guys, just of to find a hedgehog for tonights stew lol.

Recipe for hedgehog

1)light a large fire using hickory wood allow flames to die down leaving the embers
2)select a large plump hedgehog
3)baste said hedgehog in malt whisky then marinate in vodka for 2 hours
4)place hedgehog in large cooking pot along with seasonal vegetables and 2 bottles of sherry
5)gently cook hedgehog for 1 hour 45 minutes stirring occasionally
6)remove hedgehog from pot throw it away and drink the gravy:D:D:D

Thanks for the replies guys. We have a licence to trade at Edinburgh, and can do that when we need to. As for the market idea, they are a little to tying and have all sorts of regs and priority rules not quite suiting to a nomadic life, although we did do them for a while before we had our own studio.
Think I was trying to kill three birds with one stone with the campsite idea...traveling somewhere new, a place to overnight and a few quid. I think I agree it might not go down to well at most sites, probably touches on the tinker selling clothes pegs scenario a wee bit.
Would be nice to find a good balance of non restricted lifestyle, travel and earning a few quid all at the same time without having to take part in the rat race again.
Cheers guys, just of to find a hedgehog for tonights stew lol.

Don,t give up on the idea yet ,Ian, We will ask around and get back to you on this one.
I was on a farm this year where there must have been 30 vans and tents (dont think it was a registered site) the farmer just took the money and left you to get on with it. I,m sure if you crossed his palm with silver ,you would get the thumbs up;):cool:

BTW. Close to Dalby Forest so loads of Hedgehogs:eek::p

Another idea, :eek: Ian, would be to check on some of the CCC rallys or hoiliday sites. :rolleyes: These are sites run by a district association just for a couple of months. :cool: I will check out a bit more when I get back home as we are in Swindon at the minute, (sons.) :D :cool: :D JIM.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back