Is there such a thing as off grid spots for small touring caravans?

Disco2022

Free Member
We have always and still do dream of owning a motorhome which hopefully will materialise in the coming years but until then we are taking advantage of our touring caravan but we are bored of the same old humdrum of campsites.

So, I was wondering if theres was such a thing as off grid areas around the country that we could take advantage of to access some of our great beauty spots?

Thanks in advance.

We have seen odd caravans in remote parts of Scotland. Your best idea would be go to a camp site in an area you like then explore every day in the car till you find somewhere suitable for another holiday.

Yes, perfectly possible, but not quite as easy as a Motorhome generally.

A friend bought a caravan during lockdown and wild camps a lot, but it presents more issues than a motorhome mainly grey waste and the perception of travellers,

When we had a tourer we often used pub sites.

That was in the days of no solar and using the car battery for power (no ehu), so almost always single night stays.

No real difference between a camper/motorhome etc 'wild camping' or a caravan ....other than some people's perception of it ...

Laybys etc you'll probably not get a second glance ...
Generally IF you do as a lot of folks do and stop for no longer than one night
Arrive late/leave early

By the time anyone that's likely to notice ...you'll have moved on .

Other than that consider CL/CS 5 pitch basic sites from the 2 big clubs for less stress ?

Only slightly relevant, but local council carparks in N. Ireland generally would not allow a caravan to be parked in a car park never mind overnight, but it can park by day provided it is hitched to the towing vehicle.
Little known fact which may or may not apply to GB, but council car parks are technically limited to a max vehicle weight of 3500kg, and also no vehicle is supposed to park overnight.

As I say perhaps slightly relevant if you park and remain hitched. You could argue you are not camping but simply parked for a period of time.

Davy

Only slightly relevant, but local council carparks in N. Ireland generally would not allow a caravan to be parked in a car park never mind overnight, but it can park by day provided it is hitched to the towing vehicle.
Little known fact which may or may not apply to GB, but council car parks are technically limited to a max vehicle weight of 3500kg, and also no vehicle is supposed to park overnight.

As I say perhaps slightly relevant if you park and remain hitched. You could argue you are not camping but simply parked for a period of time.

Davy
Rule 91 highway code, resting as tired driving.

Endast lite relevant, men kommunala parkeringsplatser i Nordirland skulle i allmänhet inte tillåta en husvagn att parkeras på en parkeringsplats, strunt i över natten, men den kan parkera på dagen förutsatt att den är kopplad till dragfordonet.
Lite känt faktum som kanske eller kanske inte gäller för GB, men kommunala parkeringsplatser är tekniskt begränsade till en maximal fordonsvikt på 3500 kg, och inget fordon ska heller parkera över natten.

Som jag säger kanske lite relevant om du parkerar och förblir kopplad. Du kan argumentera att du inte campar utan helt enkelt parkerat under en tid.

Davy
Varför inte husbilar mer än 3 500 kg? My väger 4 500 kg och är 7,5 meter lång.

Hi, this is a local council by law applicable to council owned car parks. It applies to all vehicles, not just motorhomes. However i don't think it is enforced. i have not heard of anyone being prosecuted.

Davy

Hej, detta är en lokal kommun som enligt lag är tillämplig på kommunala parkeringsplatser. Det gäller alla fordon, inte bara husbilar. Jag tror dock inte att det genomförs. Jag har inte hört talas om att någon blivit åtalad.

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back