Is it me, or do all slatted pull out beds always jam!

glynemrys

Hi All, my first post so be gentle!
I have been looking for a motorhome for 5 years, and 3 weeks ago took the plunge and bought a 2000 Lunar Roadstar 620...... I love it.
The problem is that I seem to be a bit ham fisted. Every time I have looked at a motorhome, and pulled out the slatted double bed, I end up walking up to some poor salesman and proclaiming, "it must be faulty!" as it will be all twisted and off the rails.
My motorhome is just the same. I have taken out the small chest of draws at the rear to see how it works, and all is fine (ish). I then try to pull out the bed, and IF successful, you can guarantee that it won't go back without jamming. WHAT CAN I DO/ ITS DRIVING ME BONKERS........ Any mods I can consider. Please help.... i've taken to hanging myself up in the wardrobe to get to sleep!

Last edited:
Hi All, my first post so be gentle!
I have been looking for a motorhome for 5 years, and 3 weeks ago took the plunge and bought a 2000 Lunar Roadstar 620...... I love it.
The problem is that I seem to be a bit ham fisted. Every time I have looked at a motorhome, and pulled out the slatted double bed, I end up walking up to some poor salesman and proclaiming, "it must be faulty!" as it will be all twisted and off the rails.
My motorhome is just the same. I have taken out the small chest of draws at the rear to see how it works, and all is fine (ish). I then try to pull out the bed, and IF successful, you can guarantee that it won't go back without jamming. WHAT CAN I DO/ ITS DRIVING ME BONKERS........ Any mods I can consider. Please help.... i've taken to hanging myself up in the wardrobe to get to sleep!

Hi,

Without seeing it hard to say:D Try to old trick of rubbing a candle on all the wood to wood contact edges, it should help a bit. Do not use WD40 or any spray kind of lube as it more often makes it worse on wooden components:(

The old candle trick works wonders on sticking doors, drawers, sash windows, saw blades, hand planes etc.

John (cabinet maker):D

Hi yeh it seems to be a exact science, the older the van the worse it gets, one van we had we replaced the slats with four ply boards! Bessie the van we have now use's the tables to make the bed so no problem...jack

Thanks for that, I will try the candle wax trick.

Basically the "bed" pulls out from under a small chest of draws as seen in the picture.

http://www.motorholme.co.uk/images/630b-internal.jpg

I have taken the drawers off, and as you pull the bed out, the slats (which are connected by a two 1" wide pieces of webbing) start to emerge. the problem is that they don't seem to want to stay in the slots as you pull! Even if you do get the bed out, they refuse to go back and it all ends up a mess.

I have wondered about changing the webbing for another material, but I thought I'd ask first.

Any more idea's anyone?

Try candle wax/rub as suggested, also Silicon spray which dries to a touch dry finish is VERY good, make sure the slats are a slightly loose fit, otherwise they will bind if twist slightly when moved in or out! You may need to sand the corners off the ends of the slats.

Try candle wax/rub as suggested, also Silicon spray which dries to a touch dry finish is VERY good, make sure the slats are a slightly loose fit, otherwise they will bind if twist slightly when moved in or out! You may need to sand the corners off the ends of the slats.

Get the baby powder out, a good shake works wonders, smells nice too!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back