iPad Pro with 3 roaming sim problem

SimonM

I’ve been in France for the past 3 weeks using iPad and iPhone.
last year I got a 24mth 24gb sim from 3 and inserted it and barely used it. When we arrived in France it worked for a few days then stopped.
So, I then inserted a brand new 24gb 3sim which refuses to do anything at all - I’m led to believe they need to be activated in England, if so, my mistake. 3 were very useless when I contacted them.
I was then hotspotting via the iPhone for a week or so, but I’m close to running out of the 12gb roaming allowance.
Frustrated, I refitted the first sim a week ago, and lo and behold it’s all working fine.

until now. It will not now connect to the internet apart from hotspot Like now.

But - it shows a connection at the top of the screen 3 or 4 bars, and it occasionally lets me know of an email arrived - surely it is either connected or it aint?

I have removed the sim, rebooted several times all to no avail, but it is obviously connected in some way as Polarsteps I’m using needs the internet and it knows where I’m travelling at all times.

Suggestions of what else I can check, please?

It is possible to have a good connection to a mobile network but to have either no or a very slow data connection. Could this be your problem?

I am in a known slow internet region in Cadtellane. So maybe it’s part of the problem. We will head a bit further north/west from tomorrow maybe that can assist. Yet the phone data works. Weird.

You definitely don't need to be in the UK to activate. We came out with 2 Three data sims, the first one has just reached it's fair usage limit, just put the brand new one in and connected within 5 minutes. A poor signal area won't be helping you.

An answer of sorts. No internet slowness where I am. The phone works but I’m out of roaming 12gb 😡. The sim in the iPad is drained. The new unused sim is no good (I cleaned that up) and will not do anything in the iPad or iPhone. Even the drained iPad sim is still showing a small bit of contact of sorts.

3 or Three were absolutely useless, their chat people have no interest in assisting me with a faulty product. So that will be them dumped when I finally return home. I may buy their datapassport so my holiday isn’t ruined £5 a day isn’t the end of the world for unlimited access.

I went into M.LeClerc today and picked up a couple of preloaded SIM cards. Now the phone is fully loaded and iPad is hotspotting all nice and clearly. Not cheap. But I really don’t care about that 150gb valid for a month €24.95 and €19.95 recurring if I wanted to have a contract. Also unlimited minutes and texts.

Next trip this will be the easiest option for me. It works.

I went into M.LeClerc today and picked up a couple of preloaded SIM cards. Now the phone is fully loaded and iPad is hotspotting all nice and clearly. Not cheap. But I really don’t care about that 150gb valid for a month €24.95 and €19.95 recurring if I wanted to have a contract. Also unlimited minutes and texts.

Next trip this will be the easiest option for me. It works.
Out of interest for next year, which network did you get for that deal?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back