Inverts & Solar Panels

David & Ann

As I only wild camp, I am getting too old to hump my generator up and down from my box bolted to the back of the MH. I have one 100A liesure battery which is charged by a solar panel on the roof. I run a 65W / 240v colour TV from a hook up of the Generator. I always charge up my Mobile and video camera when I run my TV from the hook up. This works brilliantly. I need to get rid of the Generator. Question is:- What size Inverter would I need to run my TV and charge my phone and camera at the same time. And is my solar panel good enough to do the job. Would you advise I get a second liesure battery to avoid not having sufficent power for other items on board. HELP!!!

A 150w invertor will run your tv.
Maplins got offer on at the moment.£15.00 I think. Not going to get into how long battery will last between charges. Set up a battery which is dedicated for running the TV then your light etc wont be stealing power which you might need to see the end of the film.

we have a 500w inverter and it lasts a weekend doing the tv although we only watch tv at night,also i can charge my mobile or laptop up on it,we dont have a solar either so its solely power from our 110ah battery...sammx

Leisure batteries.

Just a query!!! Does the engine also charge your leisure battery when you are driving, or do you have to plug in on site or with a generator when wilding. I know the alternator charges the battery under the bonnet. Just curious.

David & Ann said:
Just a query!!! Does the engine also charge your leisure battery when you are driving, or do you have to plug in on site or with a generator when wilding. I know the alternator charges the battery under the bonnet. Just curious.
we have a charger for the leisure battery under the passenger seat...i think it charges when the engine is running but not sure....too tech for me.
i know it gets charged when we got geni plugged in or are on a site..sammx

Inverted TV

Do try the TV on the inverter before buying if poss' I tried our 14" 240v portable but it put white 'sparkles' across the screen, so in the end I bought a 15" LCD with DVD player for those wet nights with no signal.

It was £149.99 from Comet and is actually a 12v set!!!! So no inverters!! Had a long weekend wild camping last week with TV at night off a 95amp/hr battery with no prob's.

Good luck with your search.

If your leisure battery is wired in correctly then it will be charged when you are driving.

The charger under the seat is probably for charging when you are plugged into mains hook up.

"Too techy" Perhaps you really ought to find out a bit more about what these things are for in your van then you might be able to figure out what the problem is when something goes wrong.

Parcastol said:
If your leisure battery is wired in correctly then it will be charged when you are driving.

The charger under the seat is probably for charging when you are plugged into mains hook up.

"Too techy" Perhaps you really ought to find out a bit more about what these things are for in your van then you might be able to figure out what the problem is when something goes wrong.

Yes quite right, also when I have parked up and not using the van I disconnect leisure battery from the main battery and disconnect the leads from that battery and that discharge is very slow, infact over 2 months
when reconnected both batterys were good.:) :)

Thinking Inside the Box

David & Ann said:
As I only wild camp, I am getting too old to hump my generator up and down from my box bolted to the back of the MH.

Have you considered running your gene from inside the box? Things to consider obviously are Noise, exhaust, ventilation/cooling, filling etc. I have achieved this and the only time I take the gene out of the box is when I finish the trip. The box is lockable and has a cover. A short lead connects from the gene to the mains input on the camper. I run a Honda 1KW and the noise is hardly noticeable. When its not running, the aux batteries are charged by solar panel or from the vehicles engine.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back