intro

firefighter

hi to all in camper land I'm davie from Ayrshire in the west of Scotland.I'm on to my second van now, a compass castaway, we previously had a swift kontiki with a nasty leak so we finished up with this one from cleveland motorhomes. used to wild camp all over france when the kids were wee, years ago with caravan, now enjoyin it with the van. Today Britain tomorrow THE WORLD!! I found out about Wildcamping through merlin wanderer (he used to be the best dj in the west of Scotland when he was a pup, but thats a secret!)

Hi Davie welcome theres a few of us that has French mh experience although I have only been a couple of times as yet.

We go in september Mount blank area, supposed to be wildcamping friendly maybe you have some tips:D :D :D

firefighter said:
hi to all in camper land I'm davie from Ayrshire in the west of Scotland.I'm on to my second van now, a compass castaway, we previously had a swift kontiki with a nasty leak so we finished up with this one from cleveland motorhomes. used to wild camp all over france when the kids were wee, years ago with caravan, now enjoyin it with the van. Today Britain tomorrow THE WORLD!! I found out about Wildcamping through merlin wanderer (he used to be the best dj in the west of Scotland when he was a pup, but thats a secret!)
welcome hope you enjoy the site
regards tony and lynn

goin to france to do the whole south coast thing next week and I find that Paris is non-wild compatible so we're gonna either have to autoroute/aire de repose it or do the unthinkable and hit a cheap site 4 the nite but we'll have a toast of the french red 2 u xx

welcome to wildcamping..........

welcome.gif

firefighter said:
goin to france to do the whole south coast thing next week and I find that Paris is non-wild compatible so we're gonna either have to autoroute/aire de repose it or do the unthinkable and hit a cheap site 4 the nite but we'll have a toast of the french red 2 u xx

Hi Firefighter, welcome to the forum. My better half and I are off to the south of France next Saturday for a couple of weeks. We will probably go down through Dreux and Millau and spend a week or so around Narbonne or go over the border and across to the bay of Roses.

kell said:
Hi Firefighter, welcome to the forum. My better half and I are off to the south of France next Saturday for a couple of weeks. We will probably go down through Dreux and Millau and spend a week or so around Narbonne or go over the border and across to the bay of Roses.

hi kell,
wellworth a stop at millau if you aint been before. very pretty town.
a few official sites and wilding by the river. turn left at the roundabout on the approach from the m/way.
we spent two nights on site.

john. :)

ta!!

sammclouis said:
Thanx 4 the welcome, I'm still a bit green on navigating around the site and posting and things so I hope I don't offend anyone protocol like. Good piccies by the way I especially liked the bit where u tried to launch HMS McLouis!

pappajohn said:
hi kell,
a few official sites and wilding by the river. turn left at the roundabout on the approach from the m/way.
we spent two nights on site.

john. :)

spent a few years goin down that side of france to montpellier and there used to be a good stretch of free autoroute from clermont ferrand down, apart from a short bit through a mountain pass, oh! and rodez is nice too! same area and very warm coz of all the hills around, enjoy....

firefighter said:
Thanx 4 the welcome, I'm still a bit green on navigating around the site and posting and things so I hope I don't offend anyone protocol like. Good piccies by the way I especially liked the bit where u tried to launch HMS McLouis!
your welcome firefighter...dont worry about posting,mostly friendly on this site..im looking forward to reading some of your posts..;)
with regards to HMS mclouis..well we did try buy she wouldnt float hhee hhee :D :D :D

pappajohn said:
hi kell,
we spent two nights on site. john. :)

I must agree. We Wilded for 3 1/2 weeks some time ago. We HAD broken down at the time. No problems. Nice swimming in the river. Good cycling around the area. Plenty of shops, supermarkets, outdoor markets. You could also try the Para Gliding.

Thanks for the tips Pappajon and Firefighter.

I certainly fancy a bit of wildcamping by the river at Millau.
I've been over the bridge in the truck, but have heard it said that the only way to really see the beauty of the bridge is to go down into Millau to see it from below.
So now I've two good reasons to stop off there.

kell said:
Hi Kell, we are going roughly a similar way next Saturday.
Rouen, Evreux, Drew, Chartres.
After that we have not quite decided which direction, Clemont F or The Tarn George or Grenoble. Just depends on the weather, might go to Spain but through Irun.
Have a good time
Graham

kell said:
Thanks for the tips Pappajon and Firefighter.

I certainly fancy a bit of wildcamping by the river at Millau.
I've been over the bridge in the truck, but have heard it said that the only way to really see the beauty of the bridge is to go down into Millau to see it from below.
So now I've two good reasons to stop off there.

Hi kell,
its a very long view to the bridge from millau and you can only see it from some spots.
try turning left on the roundabout in the center of town, over the stone bridge then turn right by the river.
we found the best view was from the viewing point just before the paege station on the left of the bridge.
theres a visitor center which is quite interesting and loads of m/h parking.
there is a long uphill foot slog here to a proper viewing point but you need to be fit or stupid ;) .

***** said:
Hi Kell, we are going roughly a similar way next Saturday.
Rouen, Evreux, Drew, Chartres.
After that we have not quite decided which direction, Clemont F or The Tarn George or Grenoble. Just depends on the weather, might go to Spain but through Irun.
Have a good time
Graham

Hi *****
We are sailing Sea France from Dover early evening on Saturday but as Calais is getting a bit dodgy for parking we're going to head off down the A16 for a little over an hour to overnight at the services (La Baie de Somme) just before Abbeville.

pappajohn said:
Hi kell,
its a very long view to the bridge from millau and you can only see it from some spots.
try turning left on the roundabout in the center of town, over the stone bridge then turn right by the river.
we found the best view was from the viewing point just before the paege station on the left of the bridge.
theres a visitor center which is quite interesting and loads of m/h parking.
there is a long uphill foot slog here to a proper viewing point but you need to be fit or stupid ;) .

Thanks for the tip Pappajohn.
I'm thinking of following the road under the bridge when we leave Millau to go south hopefully getting some decent photo opportunities en route. Looking at the map we can follow that road for 10 miles or so then cut back from St Rome de-Cernon to get back on to the A75.

kell said:
Hi *****
We are sailing Sea France from Dover early evening on Saturday but as Calais is getting a bit dodgy for parking we're going to head off down the A16 for a little over an hour to overnight at the services (La Baie de Somme) just before Abbeville.
Hi Kell.
We are also on an early evening Sea France, I was thinking of overnighting in Calais but like you I have heard bad things so I am going to do a few hours.
I would like to stop in Rouen by the river but do not know how safe it is (docks and all that) so I will probably go further and stop in a small village around Evreux or Dreux. Less to do the next day:cool:
Still do not know where we r going, depends on the weather

Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
kell said:
Thanks for the tip Pappajohn.
I'm thinking of following the road under the bridge when we leave Millau to go south hopefully getting some decent photo opportunities en route. Looking at the map we can follow that road for 10 miles or so then cut back from St Rome de-Cernon to get back on to the A75.

as you said in your post you have been over the bridge before so thats not on the agenda whereas for us it was. not travelling all that way to go under it :) .
it sounds like youre going on the original, old road through the valley.
anyway i hope you have a great time and happy m/homing.

john.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back