Insuring 2 vehicles

tailgate

Free Member
I hope I'm asking this right

We have a car and the motorhome.
Ive always insured car and wife the motorhome

If I insure both vehicles in my name is it possible to have a policy that I can use my no claims on both.As only one vehicle will ever be used at any one time.

Or am I going to get hammered on one of the vehicles because I'd have zero no claims on it

Or any other way round this to save me cash

Cheers

Correct your screwed.

Some say they will take into account company car driving, but most insurance companies say you have to earn your NCD on both vehicles

You can only use your no claims on one vehicle at a time but it's possible to build up a second no claims bonus on a separate policy over time. A lot of insurance companies offer a special discount for a 2nd car to help offset the restriction. I'm told that most motorhome policies allow for the fact that it's normally a second vehicle, so prices are already adjusted. It follows that it's better to use the no claims on the car and shop around for a good deal on the motorhome. I looked into all this when my husband died because we too had the car in my name and the motorhome in his. The cost of the motorhome insurance didn't rise at all when I transferred the policy into my name.

Yes, I concur with Harrow, you are screwed.

I've got 3 vehicles insured at the moment. Full NCD on two of them, none on the third. All have to be on separate policies, all are policyholder only (me) to drive - no reduction due to me only being able to drive one at a time. Costing a fortune.

It was always possible to get some NCB when insuring a motorhome as a second vehicle. Most Insurance companies would not offer you any NCB but if you said you would go elsewhere then they would offer a few years NCB if you had built up a NCB with a car and had no recent claims. When I bought our van, my Wife and I both had our own cars and I insured the motorhome in my name and was given 3 years NCB by Caravan Guard once they had proof of my car NCB.

Mine is so good with aib i dont see a problem,both car with wife on and m/home just me on policy.

With vehicles such as Motorhomes some companies don't operate a NCD policy, I'm sure AIB will be along to explain (if they have a suitable product), but as above your wife may well lose NCB for any other use.

when I got my first van to convert I had full NCD on the car and the insurance broker did not give me 'official' NCD, but they did mirror the same level of NCD discount on the van.

Both me and my OH have full Car NCDs but since Sept only run the one car beween us as just don't do enough miles to warrant two. So if that stays the same then we will alternate who is the policy holder each year - that way we will BOTH maintain our NCDs as you have have a period upto 2 years without insurance before you loose it.

Quick aside.... took out Admiral muticar cover a few years ago. I had 9 year recorded NCD. Partner had 1 years NCD. Admiral offered to match my NCD on her policy as an incentive. Fast Forward a year and the renewal Quotation gave me 10 years; AND also gave her 10 years official documented NCD .
Great Result there and if that is usual on their policies is a great way for someone in a multi-care household to give their NCD a major boost if they need it.

I would have thought that an insurance company wouldn't insure you on the basis that only one vehicle would be used at once, I'm assuming that both you and your wife would be named drivers, so as far as they are concerned you "could" drive both vehicles at the same time.

[...] Quick aside.... took out Admiral muticar cover a few years ago. I had 9 year recorded NCD. Partner had 1 years NCD. Admiral offered to match my NCD on her policy as an incentive. Fast Forward a year and the renewal Quotation gave me 10 years; AND also gave her 10 years official documented NCD .
Great Result there and if that is usual on their policies is a great way for someone in a multi-care household to give their NCD a major boost if they need it.

Another way might be to shop around as the cheapest when you have NCD might not be the cheapest when you don't.

FWIW, when we got our MH last year, insurance was going to cost a fortune without NCD. Both Jan and I had maximum NCDs, but we also had two vehicles (she had a 4x4 and I had a panel van). We decided that we'd insure the MH in my name, so I asked the insurers of the PV how much to remove the NCD from the PV so that I could use it for the MH. This cost me about £130 including 'administration fees', which seemed about right for a policy that cost me about £160 for the year and had five months to run. When I renewed my PV insurance this year (now with only 1 year's NCD rather than 15 max), it cost me slightly less than it had the previous year despite my now having almost no NCD. Previously, the PV was insured through Gladiator, who consistently came up cheapest. Now it's insured through Adrian Flux, who had (rather ironically) quoted more when I had max NCD than they did once I'd transferred the NCD to the MH!

No Claims

If you change your insurance between your self and your wife every two years you both should be able to keep no claims

Be careful - it's very easy to loose NCB between different policy types... I've been caught out a long time ago I had a van policy that accepted my car NCD so nice and cheap policy - then the van went and back to car...… I couldn't find anyone that would honour the NCD from a van and transfer to the car! I've also been shafted on my traders policy - that's got a lovely 5 year NCD but I can't use it for anything other than another traders policy... annoying as that also took over from a car policy....

I am now in the situation whereby I have two policies which is slowly but surely costing me an arm and leg.... £140 a month for traders policy and £71 a month for my landrover / selfbuilt motorhome. My daily driver is a 4 year old ford focus diesel.... I can't get quotes for that less than £800 because no-one will take NCD..... offshoot is it's on my traders policy which means no windscreen cover crazy excesses and still not accruing NCD.... When the traders policy goes which may be forced on me as I don't turnover enough cars anymore.... I'll be shafted as if I was 17 and just past.... Annoying as hell!

Be careful - it's very easy to loose NCB between different policy types... I've been caught out a long time ago I had a van policy that accepted my car NCD so nice and cheap policy - then the van went and back to car...… I couldn't find anyone that would honour the NCD from a van and transfer to the car! I've also been shafted on my traders policy - that's got a lovely 5 year NCD but I can't use it for anything other than another traders policy... annoying as that also took over from a car policy....

I am now in the situation whereby I have two policies which is slowly but surely costing me an arm and leg.... £140 a month for traders policy and £71 a month for my landrover / selfbuilt motorhome. My daily driver is a 4 year old ford focus diesel.... I can't get quotes for that less than £800 because no-one will take NCD..... offshoot is it's on my traders policy which means no windscreen cover crazy excesses and still not accruing NCD.... When the traders policy goes which may be forced on me as I don't turnover enough cars anymore.... I'll be shafted as if I was 17 and just past.... Annoying as hell!

Sounds like you are paying too much for the policy's. First one I would address is the self build Motorhome.
I would enquire with AIB as you get 15% discount for been a member on here.
Cheers. David

Sounds like you are paying too much for the policy's. First one I would address is the self build Motorhome.
I would enquire with AIB as you get 15% discount for been a member on here.
Cheers. David

I tried AIB a few years ago but they wouldn't cover business / commuting on the Landover :( That's the cheapest traders policy I could find that does what I need it to do :( The simplest answer would be sacrifice the NCB on the landrover and put it on the trade policy as my own...… gut feeling just tells me to keep it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back