home for my beloved old hymer

defitzi

My 1978 Hymer Merc (2.5) is a two owner. Them I bought it off were Austrian. I got it when it was 20 yrs until then it was only used for week-end skiing in winter high up in the Alps, and for one annul trip to Western France for a month's (static) holiday. Then, it had just 68,000km when I acquired it.Them as sold it to me were Austrians and the origional owners. I've had it since it was 20 yrs old, as new, and have sinced travelled all over Europe: the rear wheel drive is super or mountians! It was first registered in Austria in 1978..I still have all the original Austrian docs but it is currently registered in Republic Ireland (no mot needed for campervans there) and parked in a private yard in Belgium near ferries. Started instantly for my cousin last week after standing since October (so he reports)!
I have used it intensively, especially in the last ten years since I retired but my arthritis ensures I can't do the jobs and give it the tlc is is crying out for. The engine (180,000km) is still like a sewing machine; th chassis totally rust free but the body need much attention- things like door handles, hinges, the cooker and fridge need either replacing or renovation and th panelwork (it's the usual Hymer thin alluminum skin on polystyrene on hooped frames) and other bits like the shower, hot water taps there is a trauma boiler I haven't touched for ages) and the Trauma ( circulating hot air -yes , in 1978) works a treat. Upholstery can be unzipped for cleaning. Like I said, need quite a bit of tlc but mostly work-so not expensive.
And it is available for a very small price: in running order, driveable, for £1100 ( that allows prospective buyer to haggle a bit! Truth is I just haven't the heart to scrap it. I could bring it to the ferry in Belge for inspection or with a firmer option, bring to to the UK. So if anyone is interested lets discuss options. Insurance: well it can be insured from a Northern Ireland -not sure about UK mainland-but like I said, it is an A class project and one installed for rebuild in UK (I could get it most places) it could be reregistered either from the original Austrian or Irl registrations.
So:base vehicle: chassis and 2.5 Merc un-aspirated diesel for £1000 with 5 good tyres; waste tank, assorted bits and pieces of preinstalled furniture and domestic appliances thrown in and....5 good tyres plus a virtually unused porta potty!
The alternative is uthinkable: scrapyard for spares- no-no-no.
lastly I need a base in Uk if I have to bring it back anyone any ideas- could be anywhere but southern half seems preferable.
Sadly I have only a couple of pics but they are old photographs which i will try to get sorted out for net posting.
The alternative is to try and find a coachbuilder in France (or Belge) who won't break the bank:but I'm afraid that might be very expensive. Or ring it back to Ireland where I DO know someone who could-will do the jobs.
so there it is :anyone interested?
I travel back to Belge mid-month with my other camper-Renault "roo" .
Decided to have a got at doing it up-well not just me but I have a mate who needs a bit of work and who IS very very good at such things so giving him the opportunity . So maybe it will be back in action sometime this Summer.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the piccys, Defitzi, sorry to read you have to sell cos you,re obviously well attatched to your van.

Good Luck whichever way It goes;)

Hi There have you still got your old faithful? I would love to do it up and give it a new lease of life as a project. No point writing more in case you no longer have her but if you have please let me know. Cheers, Chris. My e.mail is chriscordingley@btopenworld.com

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back