help with mobile internet

e-Mail on the move

The reason you can't send email when using your USB modem is that you are connected to a different ISP (Vodafone) than the one you use at home. Your laptop will be set up to send email through your home ISP and those settings won't be accepted by Vodafone.
I'd been struggling for too long to get as concise an explanation of the problem as the one Andy came up with - I was just ending up in extreme geek speek :eek: every time!

I can offer some extra advice though which I hope will be understandable...

Part of the problem using a dongle is that speeds are slower than on broadband and also that you may be charged fo the amount of data that's moved around. For simple basic reading of text e-mail - no attachments or pretty backgrounds - I suggest using either yahoo co uk or googlemail and set your web browser to NOT use javascript. This really makes a difference to being able to quickly read an e-mail and log off and clear down the connection. As far as I know these are the only two relatively secure web based email providers that function without javascript - you certainly need javascript to use hotmail.

If anybody is using a 3 dongle on an ASUS EEEPC I suggest ditching the Xandros and installing Ubuntu NBR - not quite "out of the box" but a lot easier than trying to use the manufacturers system.

I'd been struggling for too long to get as concise an explanation of the problem as the one Andy came up with - I was just ending up in extreme geek speek :eek: every time!

I can offer some extra advice though which I hope will be understandable...

Part of the problem using a dongle is that speeds are slower than on broadband and also that you may be charged fo the amount of data that's moved around. For simple basic reading of text e-mail - no attachments or pretty backgrounds - I suggest using either yahoo co uk or googlemail and set your web browser to NOT use javascript. This really makes a difference to being able to quickly read an e-mail and log off and clear down the connection. As far as I know these are the only two relatively secure web based email providers that function without javascript - you certainly need javascript to use hotmail.

If anybody is using a 3 dongle on an ASUS EEEPC I suggest ditching the Xandros and installing Ubuntu NBR - not quite "out of the box" but a lot easier than trying to use the manufacturers system.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Yahoo, too many spammers use Yahoo email addresses.

I use Googlemail, mainly because of it's excellent span filtering capability. You can set up Googlemail to work through your email client, which does give you the ability to receive AND send email using your email software, rather than having to log onto the website. I don't need to do that because my ISP offers authenticated SMTP, which means I can use it to receive and send from any internet connection.

AndyC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back