help with medical matters needed

Maroy

Hello, newbe's here. Me and hubby are taking to the road in our Damon Daybreak at the end on March, when i finally retire. We intend to head for France/Portugal/spain and back through France. We are planning a year away and have a lot of questions we need help with. The most pressing of these is: Medication. Hubby has a number of problems for which he needs regular medication, but above these he has a free spirit and has looked forward to this trip for years so we need a solution. We will be able to take three months supply with us, but what happens after that? Can we get his prescriptions abroad if we are moving from place to place? If so how do we go about this and will we have to pay? Will be asking a lot more questions as time gets nearer, but must solve this one or there won't be a trip and that would be devastating. Best wishes, Mary & Roy.

Dont know if this helps or not but mum & dad spend 6mth in winter in spain both have a lot of pills daily ,their health centre give them both 6mth supply to cover till they return

mark & di

would love to pop out once a month & bring em you if not ! ha ha

Mediation abroad in nowhere near as expensive as in UK, we take 3 months supply with us, Dr. wont prescribe any more than that, and take prescriptions with us and buy them at local chemists. Other way round it is to get family to post medication to you but postage may cost more than getting tablets abroad

bertie

Thank you

thanks Mark & Di and Bertie, both reassuring advice. At least there are solutions even if it is paying for the medication. But, if I can get a 6month script that would be great as the problem is halved immediately. Hey< Mark and di, sounds like a good idea...Only joking, ha ha.

Hi Maroy,
If you require medication in France or Portugal, usualy you will be able to get items over the counter. Take with you a repeat prescription with your items on and show to the Chemist.
If you require Hospital treatment you will need your EHIC cards, you can order these online. In my experience I have had to pay for hospital treatment in France, but not in Portugal.
Have a good trip.

Happy Camping:)

Are you familiar with Post Restante (spelling !?) facilities? You might find this useful - I certainly use it for our full timer friends.

You can have parcels sent to Post Offices for you to collect. All you need to do is to provide your UK contact with the address of a PO that is convenient to you. They post to you at that address and you pick it up.

My husband has had really large parcels sent to The Netherlands and Germany in this way, when we have been on the road.

Good for you to make it happen despite some issues to overcome. So many folks would sit and say 'we can't do it now we are ill' and give up on living.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks pioneer and flower3bird, I am so glad i found this site. Like minded people give you so much encouragement, where friends and family are forever pointing out the pit falls and trying to disencourage you. I do have problems to overcome, as i am sure a lot of you do, now i have you all to ask how to, I know I can overcome them. More determined than ever to make that trip now. It seems there are many ways to overcome this problem about regular medication, so if one fails I will try another. Will be posting other querries in due course. Thanks once again. Happy camping. Best wishes for Christmas and the new year, Mary.

We recently flew to Cyprus (I know its not campervaning but it is relevent to the thread). My good lady forgot to get her prescription filled before she but went but did have her prescription in her purse.
We went to a dispensing chemist next to the hosipital and showed the prescription to the pharmacist, who was extremely helpful and dispenced the pills without problem. The cost, £2.41.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back