Help! VW T4 2.5 diesel engine temp light flashing...

mariesnowgoose

So, Neil has arrived at his destination for the weekend in Northumberland, but has just sent this text message.

"...when passing Alnwick I got the engine temp light flashing, so stopped & found water & oil levels are def ok. Thought maybe the temp reading thermocouple was broke & carried on after 20mins, but now realise the 2 radiator FANS are not working.
Manual says the fans are electrically operated - & not by a fan belt from the alternator. They are controlled by a THERMOSWITCH reading the water coolant temperature. I have checked the fan fuse & it is ok - can’t see where there’s any fuse for the thermoswitch in the manual."

Anyone got any ideas?? 😟

We are with Green Flag rescue if worst comes to worst, but would definitely help if we knew what the likely problem/fix would be so I can contact the garage to forewarn them the old girl might be coming their way soon...

I'm going to try the other VW forums etc. as well, but thought I'd start with you guys as there's a huge amount of genuine knowledge and experience in here 🙏👍

WV T4 Transporter 2.5 TDi, year is 2003.

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

If he has a short bit of stiff wire 50mm ish Marie he could maybe short the cable out to get going again, it's power in then the switch makes or breaks the circuit. the wire just replaces the switch for now, he'll need tools to replace it anyway.

If he has a short bit of stiff wire 50mm ish Marie he could maybe short the cable out to get going again, it's power in then the switch makes or breaks the circuit. the wire just replaces the switch for now, he'll need tools to replace it anyway.

Think he has a box of tools and various bits and bobs with him, they may be enough, but if not a good lesson in what needs to be carried in the van in future (y)

Copying Neil's post over from the other thread he started...

The electric radiator fans on our VW Gatcomb Autosleeper have stopped working. Fuse seems alright for them, so it seems their THERMOSWITCH is likely to be the problem?

2 questions: does the plug in the middle of this photo, with 2 red wires, look like it could be the thermoswitch AND should there be a fuse for it somewhere?

IMG_3959.jpeg

... and I've just found the post with the extra info about the vehicle that was decoded from the white sticker, thanks to @wildebus pointing me to this website when I was asking about paint codes back in August: https://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

X2B = National sales program Great Britain
B0N = Component parts set, complying with vehicle type for Great Britain, various parts
C7W = Steel wheels 6J x 15
G0C = 5-speed manual transmission
H5T = All-weather tires 265/35 R20 99H x1 (NAR)
J0R = Battery 380 A (80 Ah)
M9M = 5-cyl. diesel engine 2.5 L/75 kW TDI distr. inj. pump, turboch., interc., EGRbase engine is T7K/T8S
0J4 = Increased payload for special bodywork
1AB = Power brake
1G2 = Steel spare wheel with original equipment tires
1ME = Steering wheel
1NE = Wheel center cover
3AQ = Right exterior mirror with brace, convex
3BL = Left exterior mirror with brace, convex
T7K = 5-cylinder diesel engine 2.5 L unit 074.5
0E1 = Short wheelbase
0ZN = Transmission ratio, high geared
QG1 = Service interval prolongation
0G1 = Gearshift lever
8AC = Radio "beta"
8GD = Alternator 90A
8L1 = Bright rod antenna
1X0 = Front wheel drive
1LE = Disc brakes, front
1BJ = Uprated suspension/shock absorption front and rear
0GE = Emission standard EU3

Neil's texting me cos he's now full speed ahead sorting out which part(s) to order - blummin' nightmare!

Neil can only send and receive text messages so it's going to be a slow job .... :rolleyes: 😂

I don't even know what part we're supposed to be looking for!! 🤷‍♀️:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:🤪

Copying Neil's post over from the other thread he started...

The electric radiator fans on our VW Gatcomb Autosleeper have stopped working. Fuse seems alright for them, so it seems their THERMOSWITCH is likely to be the problem?

2 questions: does the plug in the middle of this photo, with 2 red wires, look like it could be the thermoswitch AND should there be a fuse for it somewhere?

View attachment 135721
BTW Answer to this is yes. When I get back we’ve got a good parts shop nearby that usually just needs the van reg.

Just been speaking to the local autoparts shop as referenced, and the bloke there says are we sure it's the thermoswitch as the fans should only come on when the engine is really hot, like when you're standing in traffic etc.

Was the engine really hot when you first opened the bonnet when you stopped after noticing the engine temperature light flashing?

Back