Help - I stuck a branch in my poor old van

RachelPenny

Hiya, new to the forum, and not sure if this is the right way forward...
We've recently bought a 1987 Elddis van, and on only our second week away I got into a tight spot.
I got a bit stressed with 2 out of 4 kids whining and a flat tyre (I'd just pumped up in the rain), and cut a corner fine getting off the camp site...
When I got to the tyre place I looked up to see a branch stabbed into the panel above the drivers door...
I've stuck a piece of tape over the hole (It's probably only about 6 inches). The van is so old, and I don't even want to guess how much it would cost to repair... Is there anything I can fill it with? Or should I do the old thing justice and go through the insurance?
Any ideas would be gratefully received... Especially since hubby took it so well, I'd love to sort it out while he's away!

Many thanks, in anticipation,

Rach

Hi Rach

Never mind, it happens to all of us at one time or another....

Which door do you mean the front passenger door? So the hole is above the cab..?? If the van is old and you want to do a cheap DIY fix, you can always patch up the hole with a bit of fibreglass so water doesn't get in and cause you problems inside. Then you could buy a vent cover (from B&Q) and put it over the patch. If you’re really fussy, you could match the vent cover and put one on the other side that way it looks like it’s meant to be there....

Just a thought, but I'm sure there are more suggestions out there......

All the best Andy

Ah - thank you (for your advice and for being so understanding!)- I was wondering if fibreglass was the way forward.
I should have been a bit more specific. The van was punctured in the side of the over head cab bit above the driver's door... offside I believe (not too sure of the proper terminology! Does that make it as clear as mud?!?

Love the vent cover idea - I need never have told my husband! He would never have noticed! lol

Rach x

Hi Rachel,

Sorry your first post had to be such bad news:(

I am assuming a coachbuilt van with aluminium outer skin:confused:

I think it can be repaired quite easily and cheaply, but not not going to be totally invisible. An invisible repair would be a lot more and entail removing, replacing, resealing a complete new panel section.

Either an aluminium patch slightly bigger than the damaged area riveted on and colour matched as best.

Or try to fill the hole with glassfibre (resin & mating) and a bit of body filler, Sanded down level and a bit of matching paint

John

Thank you - you're all so lovely!

In the cold light of day it's not the terminal disaster I first thought it was.
Yes, it is coachbuit with an aluminium skin - with, as I found out, polystyrene inside!

I take it I can get the fibre glass from DIY shops? (Sorry to sound so clueless!)

Many thanks again,
Rach x

In the cold light of day it's not the terminal disaster I first thought it was.
Yes, it is coachbuit with an aluminium skin - with, as I found out, polystyrene inside!

I take it I can get the fibre glass from DIY shops? (Sorry to sound so clueless!)

Many thanks again,
Rach x

You can get a "kit" from an auto accessory shop called Fastglas or similar.

Hopefully the damage has left a slight depression (this is good). otherwise need to gently tap around the edge of the hole to create a bit of a depression, scrape away some of the paint around hole for the resin to stick to and glue the patch over:cool: Keep it within the depression/ dent in area.

Finish off with a few thin skims of auto body filler ( may com with the kit or a separate filler kit) and sand down level with a bit of sand paper wrapped around a bit of flat wood.

Search youtube for body repairs. I have seen some good instructional videos on there when I was looking how to repair a surfboard.

john

Rach x

Try a car accessory shop ( Halfords are expensive but might have what you need)
Depending on how big the hole is, you may not need the glass matting, buy some bodyfiller with "chopped mat" reinforcing.
Tap the sides of the hole downwards to make a saucer shape so that when you fill the hole the filler will not stand proud when it has been sanded down yet still have some thickness in the middle.

MOST IMPORTANT scratch down to bare metal before filling as the filler will not stick too well to paint.

HTH

Frank

Last edited:
Depending on the size of the damage and whats on the other side, the vent idea is good, or if bigger, a new window or "inspection hatch" could be fitted. Think of it as an opportunity to improve :)

Rachel

Welcome to the club and hope you have many happy holidays in your motor home.

Rachel. we are all in this "club" together never be on your own and stuck with a problem to solve, no matter how daft it may seem, just ask. We all had to start somewhere.
Wish you all the best for the future.

hi once you get the hole filed why not get some vinyl lettering or name made up on back ground this would be better than trying to match paint also seal area happy camping

stick a bit of alloy on it with any good glue. Then take the kids to any lake and drown them, that takes the chance of this happening again. If its an oldish van then people dont mind patches.

Hi Rach, I have a old Talbot Highwayman I have had it nearly 2 years, its was only the other day while washing it I noticed that the same problem had happened to mine. On investigation they had straightened the skin back out,siloconed it and put a plastic vent over it as previously mentioned. I then removed that vent and once more went over the damaged area with some decent silocone spayed the area replaced with a new vent. Looks fine now. Happy camping

Marty

if hole is not too big just buy a reflector (pound shop) smear with mastic and place over the hole .... simples as the meercat says.

i find a breeze block is a good object to wheigh the kids down in the lake ! but be carefull with DNA they can trace them back to you. Out to sea may be better.

Kerb stones are the best,just dig one out near the lake, works well.
Now to be serious use a alloy beer can, grind the area down then stick the straightened out can to the area, a perfect repair

I love the idea of using a beer can. Here we have recycling and bodging at the same time.

And that idea about the lake and the kids - I think it will catch on.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back