Hello and umm...................fire extinguishers

I can't help thinking we live in a dangerous world but it is too easy to think a little too much like the man from health and safety rather than enjoying life and taking a few risks.

I've got powder, co2 and water mist extinguishers dotted around the house, garage and 'van.

Fire blanket is worth while too.

i like the idea of a fire blanket..... i think it would be faster to use and no fiddling about.....

Good morning all.
Although I've been in the background of wildcamping for a while, I don't think I've posted before so, 'Hello. My name is Sue, how do you do............. (Johnny Cash 😊)
I have a swift suntor RL590 which I'm totally in love with - I'd rather sell my house than my van.
We've been to some of the UK's most beautiful places and seen some wondrous things on our travels:

View attachment 74694 View attachment 74695 View attachment 74692

We are hoping to travel into Europe next year so will be tapping into the wealth of knowledge on here soon.
My van is of an age now where I'm happy to try do any work on it myself, and get great satisfaction from having a go.
(BTW: I sourced and fitted a Leisure battery from the lovely John at Alpha batteries a few weeks ago - using the wildcamping discount of course).
I am now looking for advice on replacing my out of date fire extinguisher (2017).
Its a 600g powder extinguisher.
Could any of you lovely people give me ideas as to whether you've got any variations in your vans.

Thank you xx
Hi there nice to hear from you - regarding your fire extinguisher was it a new to you 2017 the British Standards Institute (BSI) or the Loss Prevention Council Certificate Board ... suggests a typical life expectancy for a caravan extinguisher of 3-5 years.

Hi Sue and welcome.
I saw a video demonstration for this little fella and was very impressed.

Click Here to see it.

I believe they come in different sizes.
As has already been said powder and foam make a whole lot of mess.
I would be careful using a CO2 extinguisher in an enclosed space because of displacement of oxygen.
Tim.

Professionals also advise against using powder in a confined space on breathing grounds.
I'm distinctly impressed by the idea of mist extinguishers - they seem to have a 5 year warranty and the water can't settle like powder could.
There is no legal requirement to service non commercial extinguishers but last year my insurance company did not want to accept an extinguisher inside its warranty as in date.

Last edited:
Remember never use one on a chip /oil pan fire,always cover with a wet cloth/fire blanket and move it outside,being careful not to tip scalding oil over ones self.

Mist extinguishers have a class F rating so are safe on a chip pan fire - presumably because the droplets are so fine.

Mist extinguishers have a class F rating so are safe on a chip pan fire - presumably because the droplets are so fine.
Its the pressure which blows the oil up all over curtains etc setting a bigger fire,our N I fire service say never do it but turn of heat and cover with a wet cloth.

Yes - you'd probably not want to point it directly into the oil but most of the energy probably goes into atomising the water.
Class F is specifically oil-fat fire and earlier extinguishers used pressure to deliver chemicals.

Edit to not direct at oil!

Last edited:
I can't help thinking we live in a dangerous world but it is too easy to think a little too much like the man from health and safety rather than enjoying life and taking a few risks.
Yes I agree with you. My van is older so worth less than a lot which is probably why my insurance does not specify I have a fire extinguishers. I do carry one in a cupboard out the way that I would only use if I came upon someone else in trouble. I have a fire blanket in easy reach which i also use under my fire pit but I must get a new one for inside the van sometime.

i am not suggesting others follow what I do but water and blanket are enough for me and I sleep just fine

I'm surprised that some insurance companies can insist you have a fire extinguisher, that kind of implies they expect you to use it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back