heating

• Thread starter Deleted member 4053
  • Start date

Deleted member 4053

Hi folks
Anyone out there fitted extra heating unit to2005/6 ducato cabin?
presumably under drivers seat.

weez
Tony

I have an Eberspacher D2 airtronic in mine, it should be easy to fit under the seat, the diesel tank is next to it so its just a case of drilling through the sender and fitting a pick up pipe. A really simple install in a Boxer,Ducatto,Relay. It wasn't the case in my VW T5:mad:

And I thought this poor cab heating was just on older Ducato,s:confused:.

But when you think of it the cab heater is just what it says (To heat the Cab), trouble is, a lot of the heat is lost into the cold living area behind so if there was a bulkhead fitted behind the cab this would,nt happen and the cab would be warm.
I made up a thick curtain on a pole which hangs from the top bunk to the floor,thus separating the two areas whilst on long treks.

PS I have an LPG propex blown air heater in the living area of my other van but I dont think you can drive with this on,I stand to be corrected:rolleyes::)

I find that I struggle to find propane supplies in small cylinders - it always seems to be butane. We suffered on our recent trip because the butane kept freezing up. What new tricks can old dogs teach me on this?

I find that I struggle to find propane supplies in small cylinders - it always seems to be butane. We suffered on our recent trip because the butane kept freezing up. What new tricks can old dogs teach me on this?

How about making up a thermal jacket for the bottle:confused::eek:;)

Something like a Tea Cozy:eek::cool:

teacozy.jpg

Last edited:
How about making up a thermal jacket for the bottle:confused::eek:;)

Something like a Tea Cozy:eek::cool:

That was my thoughts exactly, but when I read the Truma instructions, they specifically caution against this and say that it does not work.

That was my thoughts exactly, but when I read the Truma instructions, they specifically caution against this and say that it does not work.
Go back to thread no. 7;), ,m sure these litle cuties would,nt do any harm:eek::cool:

A thermal jacket makes things worse - guaranteed.
As the butane evaporates, it cools the liquid left behind. Normally conduction from the air outside through the metal bottle helps stop this temperature drop from getting too large so the usual "stops working at zero centigrade is fairly close. If you insulate the bottle the zero degrees point will be reached at a higher outside temperature than without.

Of course if the air temperature is way below freezing, nothing is going to make a lot of difference unless you can provide external heat to the b ottle. In my Hobby, good German design meant that the pump suction line was run hard up against the uninsulated wheel arch so while we were camped in Germany for the first night, the pipe froze. I had to dismantle the cupboard to get at it to relocate the pipe and insulate the wheel arch. While I was about it I ran a 1" extension from the heating system to blow hot air under all the cupboards to make doubly sure nothing would freeze. A fortuitous result is the hot air blows underneath the floor of the gas locker and keeps it just warm enough that using butane is problem free.
Last camping spot a brit in a large MH was using a butane bottle sat outside on the ground. Heater went off at 2am when the outside temp was close to zero and they froze. Next day he got out some old quilts and foil and insulated the bottle and hose. I explained to him that it would only make things worse - but hey, what would an Australian know about cold weather camping (a hell of a lot actually - all learned from forums such as this one and other US ones). Next night was 2 degrees warmer but he still ended up freezing. We were snug as bugs in a rug both nights.

The rear heater in our Chausson is a genuine Fiat part, the Fiat parts manual states an extra heater can be supplied and fitted under the drivers seat for cold climates. Chausson then extend the pipes and fit it mid way down the van, ours only has an on/off switch but the temp is controlled via the std heater control, but it make a hell of a difference by heating up the rear which also stops the cold draught around the neck feeling when driving - DO IT! FIT IT!!

our under the drivers seat heater was factory fitted as it is in minibuses
it sprung a leak on our first long trip when repaired under warentee we were advised to fit a on off tap and only use it if realy needed as the soldering was not very good a possible good idea but we have not found it needed
if it leaks again ile just clamp off with mole grips and claim again on the warrentee
it works better than the proper cab heater which blows cold air as well as hot

why not insulate the compartment where the gas bottle is is kept mine is and i have not had a prob with the blue bottles and as far as i am concerned never will woof woof

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back