Hair Driers

tissy

Hi
Now this is the problem
We love wild camping but my wife needs a hair drier, her hair is shoulder length thick and dark. The machine to dry within the hour is 1500 watts.So we end up going to a site for electricity every couple of days for the luxury of this facility . I dont want to carry a generator for noise and weight reasons so what are your experiences of invertors for this sort of load cost and do they require more batery power?
I have tried 12volt driers and they were not powerfull enough.
1 tought about changing the wife but that could be very expensive.
I cant be the first guy with this problem!
Help
tissy

1st option get her to hang her head out the window.
2nd option get it cut.
3rd option wait to get home to wash it.
4th option leave her at home
5th option only go away for 1 night.
i could think of more.
sorry i dont know anything about hair dryers & inverters.
tony

I have very thick shoulder-length red hair which takes about 10 hours to dry naturally. I think 15-20 mins use of a 1500w hair dryer would be a huge drain on any battery.

There is another option..... Suggest she goes to a public loo in a supermarket at a quiet time and use the hand-drier there. This should dry it pretty quickly with minimal hassle and no expense!! :)

I have very thick shoulder-length red hair which takes about 10 hours to dry naturally. I think 15-20 mins use of a 1500w hair dryer would be a huge drain on any battery.

There is another option..... Suggest she goes to a public loo in a supermarket at a quiet time and use the hand-drier there. This should dry it pretty quickly with minimal hassle and no expense!! :)

a kangooroo with red hair , there must be irish in you somewhere.
tony

Now thats a good idea and would work for me and you but i dont think i could get her into the super market without the hair being sorted.;)

a kangooroo with red hair , there must be irish in you somewhere.
tony

My father's side of the family - one relative traced back to Dublin in 1832 and another born 1827 in Wexford who came to the UK following the Irish potato famine!

Roo :)

Hello Tissy,

Currently our Swift is equipped with a 220AH leisure battery (1 x single unit) and a 1.6kw constant output inverter. This set-up currently deals with the requests (demands ;-) ) of my wife's travel hair dryer which is rated at 750W. With this kind of arrangement, the inverter can operate her hair dryer, providing that the current leisure battery capacity is capable of the 73A the hair dryer takes when in use (this takes into account the excess power used by the inverter as well as the 750W demand from the hair dryer).
The problems are re-generating the power used by the hair dryer along with everything else that runs un the van (water pump, TV, lighting, etc). This is where the debate starts as to the ideal way to replenish the power lost in your leisure batteries when away from EHU.
You have already pointed out that you do not wish to pursue the route of generators, so there are only 3 additional options to take;

A) Solar/Wind generation - ideal providing that mother nature and provide the ingredients necessary to produce enough power to put back what you have lost in use of the hair dryer and other equipment. I currently have a 85W Solar Panel fitted to the Swift.
B) Advanced Engine to Leisure Charging - This can be done with heavy duty Split Charge relays (you van will currently be fitted with a very basic system, which isn't capable of a quick charge alternative), or the Recommended method of a Battery-to-Battery charger. The B2B is by far the most trust worthy method as it can potentially produce up to 50A of power (even at idle speed) when the engine is running, so in say 45mins you can potentially produce a significant amount of power back into the leisure batteries. Again the 50A unit I currently have fitted to the Swift.
C) Silent running 12v units such as Efoy's Smart Fuel Cell, or a Self-Energy EG20 12v generator. These units are a sure fire way of producing energy, but have their own problems. The Efoy's are not cheap, the recommended unit as a 1200, which currently is £3000 approx, plus you have to obtain the correct methanol to run it. The Self-Energy unit still runs at a dB of 52, plus you are dipping into your Gas, meaning more capacity or more stops to re-gas (fine if you have Gaslow, but potentially an issue if you don't). This option I don't intend to be looking into, as we find our set-up works excellent for 2-3 days average.

Regardless of what path you choose, I would advise to also look into monitoring your capacity of your leisure batteries with a good battery monitor rather than relying on the factory fitted voltmeter, which is typical in most motorhomes. Something that gives Volts, amps and a capacity rate. This would help you judge whether you can use the hair dryer at that given time, or whether you need to do something before leaving yourselves short of power. This is vital when you are off the beaten track as most of us do on here. Last year, me and the wife counted only 5 times when we have been on EHU, 4 x of these were in the winter but we didn't pay for it as was freely available at the time as we do tend to use the van all year round.

Hope some of the information helps, but feel free to ask more if needed :)

Hi Thanks for this usefull info
Is your invertor a pure sine wave?

I have three 80 amp hr. batteries, a 2000 watt Inverter and an 80 watt Solar Panel in my Hymer, my wife uses her hair drier, spin drier, iron, domestic vacunm cleaner, TV and DVD player, charge camera batteries and phone batteries all from the system, I installed five new 230 v sockets all running from the Inverter in positions best suited to our use, we have recently spent 110 nights wild camping in France Spain and Portugal and had no problems with the system at all.We also have a Microwave oven that will run from the inverter too but are frugal with its use as it draws a lot of power but if ever we are on a low amp. hook up,which won't power the microwave we power it from the inverter as the hook up keeps the batteries up .

we would like to fit a good solar panel for thisa and a few other reasons but the cost is holding back for at elast a year. so we are back to the problem, my wife and daughter have also used hand dryers in the loos to dry their hair, much to the disgust of some of the other facility users:p, but it works.

also if wilding for a while, the ccc have stop overs at some places, to fill, fresh water, empty cassettes, and use showers etc. think its about a fiver.

not exactly wilding but I think its worth it some times, if only for a really good long shower and hairdryer, use of laundry, and of course as above dispose of teh black stuff responsibly and properly

we are members as we like to use the cs site too.
al

If you have hot air heating and an outlet in the bathroom you can fairly easily rig up a flex hose to produce some head high heat.

I think with a bit ingenuity you could add an inline 12V fan to add a bit more air as the Eber/Webs can produce enough heat if cranked right up and only one outlet open.

Hi Roger
I thought you had got the solution then ; run into the lounge told her all she said was it 'that wont be powerful enough' back to the drawing board lads!

Thanks for all the feed back
'need to cut the hair when she is a sleep'
will i be forgiven ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back