Gaz or Calor? Any opinions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4850
  • Start date

Deleted member 4850

I just bought a VW camper that has 2x 907 Camping Gaz bottles housed on a slide out tray. Good idea, we thought, so you don't run out of gas...but nothing we do (jubilee clips etc) takes the aroma of gas away from that cupboard area, even when switched off at the bottle. I'm also told iGaz is an expensive option (and I'll need to buy another 907 bottle).

If I took out a small shelf above, I could fit a single standard blue Calor bottle instead. I've never had problems with gas smell on these - the regulators seem better. Does anyone have any views on this? Thanks!

I just bought a VW camper that has 2x 907 Camping Gaz bottles housed on a slide out tray. Good idea, we thought, so you don't run out of gas...but nothing we do (jubilee clips etc) takes the aroma of gas away from that cupboard area, even when switched off at the bottle. I'm also told iGaz is an expensive option (and I'll need to buy another 907 bottle).

If I took out a small shelf above, I could fit a single standard blue Calor bottle instead. I've never had problems with gas smell on these - the regulators seem better. Does anyone have any views on this? Thanks!

Try changing your flexable (rubber) gas pipe, this stuff has quite a short life span and can get slightly porous, and even when you remove them they still smell of gas.

If you are getting a smell when switched off, check the regulator to bottle seal. The tap on Camping Gaz is on the reg., not the bottle so this joint is under preasure even with the gas off.

Thanks ***** and Geoff - good points. I'd no idea the hosing had a short life span...easy to change too, I'll try that, and the seal.

But because I do a lot of winter camping it might make sense to ultimately swap to Propane, esp if I can't get rid of the smell. Had a miserable two days with gas frozen a couple of years back.:(

you could change you rubber hose to a steel flex brade last a lot longer:cool:

Bit of feedback to the above...Geoff.W was absolutely spot on - it was the hose! I hadn't realised they have dates on them and this one should have been changed ages ago - they recommend every couple of years. When I took it off it reeked of gas and even after 4 days in the garden it still reeks, so it must have been totally porous. The van now no longer has a smell of gas - yippee! Thanks, Geoff!:)

Remember if you go abroad you can't buy Calor so your 907's would be a safe option as they ARE available - also a lot lighter than Calor 3.9kg Propane bottles!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back