Gas connections/leak

Daniel

Hi all,

Hope someone can give me advice on this.

I have a slef build van, it is old so isn't fitted with gas bottle lockers etc. The gas bottle is housed under the bench seat. It is a pretty sealed area. One thing I did notice was that there were no holes in the floor for ventilation. To remedy this I drilled some holes that go directly out the bottom of the van and into the wild.

One thing that worries me is that whenever I lift up the bench seat and look inside the gas bottle housing area I can smell gas. After about 10 seconds (or less) the smell has completly gone. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem that needs the professionals?

Many thanks
Daniel

hi there

Hi, I had the same gas fitment in my old van, and no its not normal to smell gas, get yourself some gas detector fluid from plump center and have a look at all the joints,
terry

Hi, I had the same gas fitment in my old van, and no its not normal to smell gas, get yourself some gas detector fluid from plump center and have a look at all the joints,
terry
The stuff i use is a spray on you spray the joints and if there is a leak it bubbles, if you use the gas hose from your gas bottle with clips check that the hose is not old if so renew the hose for a good quality one and new clips.:)

Hi all,

Hope someone can give me advice on this.

I have a slef build van, it is old so isn't fitted with gas bottle lockers etc. The gas bottle is housed under the bench seat. It is a pretty sealed area. One thing I did notice was that there were no holes in the floor for ventilation. To remedy this I drilled some holes that go directly out the bottom of the van and into the wild.

One thing that worries me is that whenever I lift up the bench seat and look inside the gas bottle housing area I can smell gas. After about 10 seconds (or less) the smell has completly gone. Is this normal? Or do I have a problem that needs the professionals?

Many thanks
Daniel

Is the smell there when the valve on the top of the the bottle is screwed down?
Washing up liquid in some water will show up any obvious leaks on the joints upstream.

paint it on with a small paintbrush, If you are'nt sure what you are doing, find a gas
fitter.

Carefull, this could kill you. And others.

I will probably get it checked out by a professional as I want to be sure it is ok.

Yeah the smell is there when the valve is screwed down. It is just a slight wiff that is gone in seconds.

I will probably get it checked out by a professional as I want to be sure it is ok.

Yeah the smell is there when the valve is screwed down. It is just a slight wiff that is gone in seconds.
Thats the best thing to do Daniel if you do not have any experience of working with gas and you could buy a gas alarm if you were still worried about gas leaks, another precaution you can take is always turn off your gas from the gas bottle when you are not using it.;)

another precaution you can take is always turn off your gas from the gas bottle when you are not using it.;)

Do you mean turning the gas off by turning the screw in on the regulater, which cuts the supply i.e. I wouldn't be able to light the hob? If so then yes I always make sure I do this when not in use.

Thanks

Do you mean turning the gas off by turning the screw in on the regulater, which cuts the supply i.e. I wouldn't be able to light the hob? If so then yes I always make sure I do this when not in use.

Thanks

As a precaution yes turn your gas supply off at the regulator when you are not using any off your gas apliances, if you are using a gas fridge you will need to leave your gas on to keep the contents of the fridge cool.
The best thing that you can do is have the gas system looked at by someone that is qualified to do it (a regitered gas fitter)
as you can not be to carefull where gas is present, :eek:also have a gas alarm fitted for you own safety and anyone else that is in your van with you.
It is better to be safe than sorry.
And it will cost you but it will be well worth every penny for your own peace of mind.;):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back