Garmin Camper Satnav

barge1914

Has anyone figured out how to stop one of these Satnavs giving those annoying speed limits that show 50mph in a 60 zone or 30 in a 40 zone with a little Moho symbol. I’ve told the thing our weight is sub 3.5T, even tried 3.04T but it still shows speed limits for a heavier van. I ignore it but it insists on binging whenever I exceed these and drive at the oermitted speed.

No sorry , ours stopped working altogether just 13 months after purchase so no guarantee. Wish we had not bought it as always seemed to go long way round.

Has anyone figured out how to stop one of these Satnavs giving those annoying speed limits that show 50mph in a 60 zone or 30 in a 40 zone with a little Moho symbol. I’ve told the thing our weight is sub 3.5T, even tried 3.04T but it still shows speed limits for a heavier van. I ignore it but it insists on binging whenever I exceed these and drive at the oermitted speed.
You can disable Audible Speed Alerts as per attached photo.

Attachments

• EEECE748-9F35-44F7-B687-8EF8E6680D45.jpeg
    EEECE748-9F35-44F7-B687-8EF8E6680D45.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 79
You can disable Audible Speed Alerts as per attached photo.
I like alerts for real speed limits, it occasionally stops me missing one. It’s just the innacuracy of much of the info and these peculiar motorhome limits that are annoying.

I like alerts for real speed limits, it occasionally stops me missing one. It’s just the innacuracy of much of the info and these peculiar motorhome limits that are annoying.
I dont get any beeping on mine if I overstep the limit as set at the moment.

You do not say exactly which model you have but if you cannot set the parameters to your satisfaction then you are either doing it wrong or it is faulty (so send it back under a warranty claim).

As for satnavs sending you the long way around, this is because the parameters for height, length, width etc. are part of the equation when it looks for a safe route. Basically, all satnavs are the same. They either work off 'fastest route' or 'shortest route'. OK for a car but different for a motorhome.

My Garmin Camper satnav can do a perfect job .... then the next day I want to throw it out of the window. :confused:

Yes I agree with that, not sure what model it is and this morning it has come back to life so we shall see. Have put in dimensions bigger than we are and am still surprised by some of the roads it takes us on. Have also altered route preferences but still find it taking us along 2 sides of a triangle.Over the years must have tried most major brands , none have lasted much more than guarantee period.So its always a map for me although Google on the phone works quite well.
They always got me to my destination, it was just the route that I have issues with.

One criteria that all satnavs are poor on is width . They all seem to only be aware of statutory limits ie 6'6" etc narrow roads don't trigger anything . Height limits are far more reliable . I have also noticed over time shorter routes are not "shortest " route like earlier satnavs were. I have always had Garmin but supplemented by use of other makes occasionally inc in car brands , none have ever ceased to operate . Must be lucky :)

Had my Garmin Camper for six years and the times it has let me down have usually been due to errors on my part. Satnavs are never going to be perfect there are too many variables.

I have a Garmin Camper Satnav and its useless for what it is supposed to do, lots of times it has taken me down narrow country lanes even if I put the width way over what I need and also a few low bridges where I have had to turn around.
I still don't know why all the satnavs even when set for quickest route still want to cut off a main junction ahead and take you on a shortcut down a lane to cut off the corner.
Neither Garmin or TomTom don't have the option to just use A or B roads which would solve a lot of problems

I have a Garmin Camper Satnav and its useless for what it is supposed to do, lots of times it has taken me down narrow country lanes even if I put the width way over what I need and also a few low bridges where I have had to turn around.
I still don't know why all the satnavs even when set for quickest route still want to cut off a main junction ahead and take you on a shortcut down a lane to cut off the corner.
Neither Garmin or TomTom don't have the option to just use A or B roads which would solve a lot of problems
'Quickest route' is just about speed limits, not so much distance. It is quick as in computing the speed limits on various routes and offering the best option.

My fallback is to look at a map before I set off, write the road numbers down on a slip of paper and stick it in the sun visor.

I run a garmin and update it before every trip, but just for fun use the apple maps along side to see if they agree. I liked the snooper better, but no repair service :(

I have the Garmin camper, and can confirm that it will not show the correct uk speed limits for a motorhome of less than 3.5t no matter what weights and dimensions you put in. I did once get involved in an online chat with an advisor on the Garmin website, I assume he was American because he insisted that an "RV" had to be in the heavier category. The only way to get the correct speed limit is to set it to "car", in which case the vehicle dimensions are not taken into account.
On the subject of the vehicle dimensions and the satnav taking narrow roads, my understanding is that it will only warn you if there is an actual width limit on the road.

Sat navs can only work to the data in the map. I have the Garmin Camper 760 but the map data is the same on all models. The width of many minor roads are not yet included so it will still direct a wide vehicle down them even if it will not physically fit. Map updates are always an improvement but it's still always best to scan the route before driving it, I learnt that after being uneccesarily sent down some extremely tight lanes a few times. So you never quite know with road widths but I would at least like to think that height restrictions are accurate and complete!
I also noticed that even after the latest update on my last trip that some speed limits were either 10mph over or under, not sure if car mode would have been different or if the speed limits had recently changed for that particular road stretch? But generally it seems okay!

Sat navs can only work to the data in the map. I have the Garmin Camper 760 but the map data is the same on all models. The width of many minor roads are not yet included so it will still direct a wide vehicle down them even if it will not physically fit. Map updates are always an improvement but it's still always best to scan the route before driving it, I learnt that after being uneccesarily sent down some extremely tight lanes a few times. So you never quite know with road widths but I would at least like to think that height restrictions are accurate and complete!
I also noticed that even after the latest update on my last trip that some speed limits were either 10mph over or under, not sure if car mode would have been different or if the speed limits had recently changed for that particular road stretch? But generally it seems okay!
The reason the stated limits are wrong for a <3.5t motorhome is that the satnav is working on limits for >3.5t motorhome or commercial vehicle,i.e 50mph on single carriageway, 60mph on dual. Motorways will be correct at 70mph.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back