Gairloch update

tribute11

Screenshot_20240325-223310_Facebook.jpg

Well done highland council yet again, and the Gairloch, not only an elsan point, but drive over grey water, freshwater, and showers. 👍

Gairloch open new public amenities and motorhome waste disposal​

A new high-quality toilet facility to help alleviate pressures at Gairloch has now opened. The project was brought to fruition by a community partnership driven by Gairloch Area Development Ltd, supported by The Highland Council and Visit Scotland.
A modern toilet block incorporating disabled access, baby changing, and shower facility officially opened on Friday 22 March 2024. The area also includes a drive over grey waste and separate black waste facility, freshwater tap, bike rack for 6 bikes and seated area. Information visitor interpretation boards have also been installed funded by The Highland Council, the Gaelic Society Inverness and Urras an Eilein, with help from the Gairloch Museum.
Local construction company, MacLeod and Mitchell Contractors Ltd were the main contractor and Healthmatic designed and installed the modular toilet facilities.
The Highland Council’s - Economy and Infrastructure Committee Chair, Cllr Ken Gowans said: “Members were very supportive of this project when it came to E&I committee for financial support in 2022, and I am very pleased to see it has been able to secure the additional funding required through the Rural Tourism Infrastructure Fund (RTIF) and Highland Coastal Communities Fund (HCCF). Gairloch is a popular tourist destination which required upgraded facilities to meet visitor demand, whilst protecting and managing the surrounding landscape. This new facility has been carefully designed to meet the needs of the public whilst being sensitive to the area.”
This £200,036 project has been made possible by investment from The Highland Council and the Gairloch Area Development Ltd, which unlocked £142,626 of grant from the Rural Tourism Infrastructure Fund (administered by VisitScotland) which was created to support projects in rural parts of Scotland that have faced pressure due to significant increases in visitor numbers; and £52,605 from the Highland Coastal Communities Fund which is designed to support economic regeneration and sustainable development around coastal areas in Highland.
Chris Taylor, Destination Development Director at VisitScotland, said: “VisitScotland is focused on the responsible growth of tourism and events. To be a sustainable tourism destination, we must ensure the right facilities are in place to cater for the growing demands of both visitors and locals. These new improvements will be a welcome addition for the community and help support the long-term infrastructure goals of the wider region.”
Fran Cree , Director at Gairloch Area Development Ltd, said: "The Board of Gairloch Area Development Trust are delighted the facilities at Gairloch beach are now open in time for Easter and the first of the 2024 seasons visitors. We’ve already received some very positive comments from motor home visitors and members of the local community. The new facilities have been a long time in the planning, and we owe a huge thanks to the Rural Tourism Infrastructure Fund and Highland Council's Coastal Communities Fund team for all their support.”
25 Mar 2024

Share this story​

Share on Facebook (opens in a new window) (external link)
Share on Twitter (opens in a new window) (external link)
Share on LinkedIn (opens in a new window) (external link)
Share by Email (opens in your email application)

Brilliant, would it be possible to get this put onto the WC app/map with a new dedicated icon rather than just a toilet pin so these new facilities are easy to find as and when they are opened, or failing
that the co-ordinates?

Clickable link

Brilliant, would it be possible to get this put onto the WC app/map with a new dedicated icon rather than just a toilet pin so these new facilities are easy to find as and when they are opened, or failing
that the co-ordinates?

Clickable link

Gairloch already has an elsan point at the harbour office, but without information where this is exactly we won’t be able to set it up as a poi. I will keep looking at search for sites to see if it appears there. We will be up there in may, if nothing has appeared on here I will add it Kev.

Gairloch already has an elsan point at the harbour office, but without information where this is exactly we won’t be able to set it up as a poi. I will keep looking at search for sites to see if it appears there. We will be up there in may, if nothing has appeared on here I will add it Kev.
Great
1711441788841.gif
1711441793793.gif

I did look at the existing POI on the app at Gairloch but it has no reviews or mention of an Elsan point and the street view just shows the community center, so no way to know or even search for it hence my request.

Gairloch harbour office with what looks like toilets next to it 3 years old so no Elsan point in the pic, coordinates in the URL so could be added to the app.
1711442250392.png

Last edited:
Great View attachment 129390View attachment 129391

I did look at the existing POI on the app at Gairloch but it has no reviews or mention of an Elsan point and the street view just shows the community center, so no way to know or even search for it hence my request.

Gairloch harbour office with what looks like toilets next to it 3 years old so no Elsan point in the pic, coordinates in the URL so could be added to the app.
View attachment 129392
It’s actually showing on the google maps photo on the WS poi. Unfortunately this site does not have a designated section for elsan points. Something maybe Phil could look at.

IMG_1802.png

It’s actually showing on the google maps photo on the WS poi. Unfortunately this site does not have a designated section for elsan points. Something maybe Phil could look at.

View attachment 129394
Ah, thanks, I didn't go far enough out of town on my first look.

It would be a good addition to the app if Phil has the time, but once we have the icon we can add them ourselves as we find them, once the loo icon was enough as that's all we had but we need a bit more delineation now perhaps with more options.

What could we use as an Elsan icon? just a simple E perhaps?

Last edited:
Ah, thanks, I didn't go far enough out of town on my first look.

It would be a good addition to the app if Phil has the time, but once we have the icon we can add them ourselves as we find them, once the loo icon was enough as that's all we had but we need a bit more delineation now perhaps with more options.

What could we use as an Elsan icon? just a simple E perhaps?
Phil plans to use ED (Elsan Disposal).

that the co-ordinates?

Clickable link

If there is also overnight motorhome parking, it will fall into the AF or AC category (depending on whether or not the parking is chargeable). The problem is ensuring that the correct location is identified.

Got this information on the new facilities at the Gairloch. The facilities accept for the showers are open 24 hours. The showers cost £3.50 and are open 8-8. Toilets 50P. I can give location as N57.717 W-5.684. Sat quick search S51422S. It’s in a large carpark next to golf club, no signs saying you can’t park on it.

I HAVE ADDED THIS NEW FACILITY TO OUR POIS UNDER TOILET WITH HEADING GAIRLOCH MOTORHOME FACILITY.

Last edited:
Got this information on the new facilities at the Gairloch. The facilities accept for the showers are open 24 hours. The showers cost £3.50 and are open 8-8. Toilets 50P. I can give location as N57.717 W-5.684. Sat quick search S51422S. It’s in a large carpark next to golf club, no signs saying you can’t park on it.

I HAVE ADDED THIS NEW FACILITY TO OUR POIS UNDER TOILET WITH HEADING GAIRLOCH MOTORHOME FACILITY.
If it has free overnighting plus services, then it should not appear as any sort of toilet but as an AF.

If it has free overnighting plus services, then it should not appear as any sort of toilet but as an AF.
We don’t know for certain about the free overnight situation. I got all my info on search for sites, and the person who added it on there thought the carpark may be for the golf course. But apparently there are no signs preventing overnight parking. When the situation is clarified the poi can be replaced and updated.

Back