fuel problems

Gary Summers

Hi all,
I have a 1995 Winnebao Rialta based on the VW T4 which having been left for a year whilst I am on an overseas posting will not start.
It goes if I pour a bit of fuel in the intake pipe so I am thinking it has a sticky fuel pump.
Anybody know where it is located on this vehicle.
Thanks to all for any suggestions
Regards
Gary Spain

Hi all,
I have a 1995 Winnebao Rialta based on the VW T4 which having been left for a year whilst I am on an overseas posting will not start.
It goes if I pour a bit of fuel in the intake pipe so I am thinking it has a sticky fuel pump.
Anybody know where it is located on this vehicle.
Thanks to all for any suggestions
Regards
Gary Spain

Hi Gary sorry can't help on this but i think the self build guys and mechs
will help:D all the best

hi if its petrol fuel injected then the chances are the fuel pump is somewhare near the tank , usual spot they fit them . firstly check the fuse and relay if all is ok then it may be a bad earth to the pump, if you locate the pump try to get someone to turn the ignition key untill the ignition is on not to the start position then listen to see if you get a short buz from the pump as it primes the systemthis will confirm the pump is working ok . most e.f.i systems employ a saftey cut off switch in case of a accident this cuts the power to your pump ,sometimes even a small knock or bang to the van can trip the switch if so it is a simple operation to reset usuala a button on the switch . best bet is to get hold of a haynes manual they are not that dear and give a wealth of knowledge it will show you where the pump. fuses. and any relays you have are hope this helps you .

Some vehicles have the pump inside the tank.

Yello Van Man

Join the AA (£35)

Then give them a call, just forget to mention the words, 12 months, posting, and me ! :)

Also some fresh petrol in the tank may help as it looses its 'mojo' after a while (about 12 months)

thats true at least if the pump is in the tank it is away from all the crud still seem to think it could be a bad earth due to the time stood fuel pumps are usualy reliable enough nowadays only time i have had any trouble was with an astra gte found the earth wire looked ok untill i checked the wire inside the outer sheathing was corroded away

Join the AA (£35)

Then give them a call, just forget to mention the words, 12 months, posting, and me ! :)

Also some fresh petrol in the tank may help as it looses its 'mojo' after a while (about 12 months)

good idea only thing is for them to come out to your home means you need home start aswell, if all else fails get a mobile mec out there usualy better than the aa or rac and not that expensive.

I would also check the fuel pump relay... i.e. is the fuel pump (when you find it) getting any feed. Most pump relays have some sort of a timer so in an accident with a cut fuel line and the ignition still on it doesn't pump out the complete contents of the fuel tank. So don't expect if the engines doesn't start to hear the pump running continually - most run for about 10-15secs, hence modern self prime diesels say crank for 5secs, stop, repeat until it starts, to allow the pump to restart for a few seconds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back